Logo

Gimme the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, Crusader 8.1 385 HP

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

Toying around with the idea of getting a little bit bigger express (35 footer) that has 2004 8.1 Crusaders.

Whats the story with these engines? Are the ECU's constantly going off, will they be a PITA to work on unlike my current 1990 454s with rochesters. Any fuel burn guesses?

Pretty much, am I crazy getting rid of the very easy and shade tree mechanic crusaders (that run like a top to boot!)?

Major upgrade in technology, that's for sure.

Working on them will require a scan tool; not a huge investment but not beer money either. Parts will be more expensive and not as easy to find.

Fuel ecomony should be a bit better, for a given rpm but the newer hull isn't likely to be lighter. I'd guess same amount of fuel but with maybe a knot increase in cruise speed...depends upon how many 'accessories' have been added.

You do realize that once you succumb to five-foot-itis once, it becomes harder to resist and by the second occurence, it is habitual?

If you want to update your package you have no choice. It's been nearly 15 years since carbs were used and the 7.4 went away 10 years ago.

The 8.1 is the only game in town if you're sticking with gas.

Back