Logo

Thread Sealant on Head bolts

Mikey_7s

Hey guys, Blew a head gasket two consecutive years on the outside of a chamber, getting the head milled at the shop but I have a question regarding the bolts when I go to torque them down. Should I be using Thread sealer/gasket maker (ultra grey or something by permatex) It specifically says no sealer on the head gasket but it was recommended to me by a mechanic to use it to chase the bolts incase water seeps up. My cocern is the excess sealent not allowing me to get a perfect seal to the block? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch

Use Permatex Aviation Liquid on the bolt threads. Cause they do enter the water jacket and water will find its way up the threads.
NO SILLYCONE OR RTV`s

Also put a dab very small amount of oil under the head of the bolt, to get a true value.

And what value may i ask are you using for head bolts, and what pattern are you using?

And what motor, year ?

Mercury sells cans of gasket sealant. It is a brown goop that semi hardens after time.

I believe they reccomend it in the service manual.

It is called

PERFECT SEAL

Why guess or use something else......

I have bee using aviation form a gasket for over 40 years don't melt. 3.0, 90 is perfect but wasn't there a spread they gave in the manual ? The manual calls for center out for the pattern ?

Back