Logo

BF115 - Will not start

mfp

We have a 2003 BF115 which will not start. When we pulled the plugs, they were wet (water). We were able to get the motor running once and it ran fine for a couple of hours straight. Sounded good and ran normally.

After sitting the night, we could not get it started again. Same thing wet plugs. When you crank the motor without the plugs in a fine mist of water comes out. There was no rough water over night where we were parked, so I don't think it was sucking water directly into the air-intakes.

Called Honda about the the issue with Cracked heads and they said the symptoms for their Cylinder Head Cracks (Honda Service Bulletin #54), were rough idle and bad performance @2200-2400 RPM. It doesn't sound the same.

We are hundreds of miles from a Honda service center, so we are trying to get some suggestions.

Why do you say it's water on the plugs(not fuel)? After running the motor are the plugs white and chalky? Have you done a compression check on all the cylinders o compare them?

We were only able to get the motor started once. We checked the plugs after we were not able to get her started and the plugs had a wet feeling to them. If you crank the motor with out the plugs, there is a small amount of water mist coming out of the spark plug hole.

That is one thing we are checking to make sure the fuel entering the motor is not mixed with water.

Drain your vapor separator into a glass jar and check for debris and water.

Smell the plugs that are wet to see if it is fuel or water. Typically, you will see water in small beads (although this does not happen all the time).

It is possible (although not likely) that the head gasket if blown. Normally it is not uniform in all cylinders. Take a compression test. That should provide an indication of the integrity of gasket.

I know I have sent you a couple of different ways, but you need to find the source of water...if it is water.

Mike

Had an independent mechanic look at it, he said good compression, no water in the fuel or oil. He suspected a cracked head or bad head gasket. We will have to pull it and have it trucked to a honda service center.

Back