Logo

Fuel pump -to- flame arrestor hose?

BlueReptile

Been lurking a bit, haven't needed to post, you guys have tought me a bit just by reading... Anyway.... first question..

There is a vacuum line between the flame arrestor and the fuel pump. This is on the AQ120B in my sig.

Just curious what it is. I was wondering if it helps with priming the fuel line or ?

Thanks

This plastic hose will save your life if the fuel pump diaphraghm ever ruptures. Its mission is to divert to the carb flame arrestor the fuel that otherwise would go to the bilges where it could go KABOOM!!! This is one of the reasons why it is so important NOT to use automotive carbs or fuel pumps in marine applications.

Ever seen a boat fire, it isn't pretty. Fuel pump, starter, alt, carb, dist, they're all marine to save YOUR life. Don't put an automotive part on a boat, at least if you're going to have other people in it with you.

The mechanical fuel pump on my AQ130C does not have such a hose...does that mean I am at risk? If so, is there something I can do about it?

I have never seen a problem with the 130/170 fuel pumps as far as safety is concerned. The diaphams do fail but not very often. The big thing on these old geezers is to make sure you put a flat-tip screwdriver on the bolt that holds the lever in the pump. These tend to rattle loose and the arm falls into the oil pan, bummer. I've opened up a handfull over the years and found the lever in the pan. It's part of my seasonal check on these old guys. Don't forget the screws that hold the top of float bowl on also, these also like to come loose and rattle down the carb throat.

I have never seen a problem with the 130/170 fuel pumps as far as safety is concerned. The diaphams do fail but not very often. The big thing on these old geezers is to make sure you put a flat-tip screwdriver on the bolt that holds the lever in the pump. These tend to rattle loose and the arm falls into the oil pan, bummer. I've opened up a handfull over the years and found the lever in the pan. It's part of my seasonal check on these old guys.
Thanks Gary. Is this screw on the outside of the pump or do you have to remove the pump to check it? Every season a least once, I make sure that all the screw heads on the fuel pump are snug.
Don't forget the screws that hold the top of float bowl on also, these also like to come loose and rattle down the carb throat.
Do you mean these screws? (This is an old pic taken of a previous engine that obviously had severe blow-by issues) One of these screws did come loose and went down the carb throat on the original engine on this boat and it wreaked all kinds of havoc as you might imagine. That engine was not the same after that happened.

Attachments

• Mvc-008s.jpg
    Mvc-008s.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 101
I have a 1965 Ford Interceptor 352 cc in my 65 Century. There is a disconnected 3/8 hose running from the flame arrestor to what I think is the fuel pump, should this breather hose be connected from the flame arrestor to the fuel pump?or can it be loose

Wooden Boat

Go to post #2. If the FP does not have a nipple on it or a sight bowel it is not marine approved. If it's there, connect a vinyal(sp) to it and run to the carb or flame arrestor.

Back