Logo

Oil/Gas Mixture

Hi I have a 1986 60 horsepower merc. Over the winter I completely forgot what the gas/oil mixture ratio was so I was just wondering if anyone knows it or knows where I can find it???? Thanks in advance!!!!

Ok thanks a lot I've got some generic type tcw-3 though, not the quicksilver stuff. I'm not sure that it qualifys as good quality should I still do a 50:1 or more like a 24:1???

Merc don't have their own refinery - any TCW-3 "dinosaur oil" probably comes from one of two places, regardless of what it says on the label.

If you have a carb model and mix the gas/oil yourself, any TCW-3 is fine.

Oil injected models can use regular oil but a semi-sythetic blend will work a little better.

EFI models must at least use semi-sythetic with fully sythetic just plain better for long term injector health.

And if you have a DFI (Opti), running anything less than DFI oil (unless you have an ETEC that was flashed for the inferior oil) will send it to an early grave.

Greetings all ;
I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I just bought a Mariner 40 attached to a 14' fiberglass boat. I have a serial number but need to know information about it. The number is 6E9L417110. What can you tell me about this engine? What is the fuel mixture, also I have read stuff like a 50:1 mixture, is that the same stuff you would use for like weedeater and chain saw fuel, and is that for a 6 gal tank (just one of those small containers)? I also read one post that said something about a TCW-3 is that another kind of oil to be added also with fuel?
I am not a total box of rocks just a first time boat owner. Thank you

Come on now -----------132 ounces / gallon of gas -----------160 ounces in an imperial gallon.----------50 :1 means 50 parts gasoline and one part oil.-----------So that means roughly 3 ounces per US gallon.--------------If you are unsure of this concept you will ruin an outboard in short order.

Back