Logo

johnson locked up 1965 40hp

Re: johnson locked up

Don't know about a 65, but on the newer engines a seized lower unit will lock up the motor too. You may want to remove the LU and see if that is your problem.

In agreement with Martino..... drop the lower unit to determine if the lockup is indeed the powerhead OR the lower unit.

You didn't post your model#, but the parts breakdown I looked at does not show any type of retainer on the pinion gear. There is a bearing that the shaft could be seized into.
If you look at a parts breakdown you would see what I am talking about.

pinion gear comes out but it has to be tapped out down into the bottom. it can not be pulled up
not sure on your model if it has a screw on the side of the leg down on the lower unit that holds the pinion in place tighter.

my case splits in half at prop. shaft. pulled lower part (fwd.,rvse. clutch dog propshaft,etc.) from upper half. found out dog is not moving either. have to get that freed-up too. was thinking of trying to drive driveshaft down through the upper caseing. whatdo you-all think? got water pump off also. thanks for help so far. to bad joe is on a break , where is jwb on this one?

my gear case assy. splits in half at propshaft(front to rear). have taken lower gear case assy. off. thinking of taking a wood or brass punch try to drive diveshaft down throu upper gear case, to try and free it frm bearings, since i can't get pinion gear off.

the only way you will get the pinion bearing out is driving the pinion down
and i am not sure how that will work out wait till someone lets you know first

finally got driveshaft out ! pinion was foze(rusted) to pinion bearig. need to replace all bearings for driveshaft and pinion. just to let anyone know and thanks for help.

Back