Logo

OMC COBRA 1992 4.3Liter - turn key and nothing happens

It is a 1992 Rienell in/outboard runabout 18ft with an OMC Cobra 4.3Liter V6... was running great all day until it was time to head home. Turned Key and nothing - battery brand new. When key is turned I hear no sound - I jiggled making sure it was in nuetral and still nothing. I do not see a kill switch so can't be that.... any ideas would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Re: OMC COBRA 4.3Liter - turn key and nothing happens

They are in a holder with a spring clip. Make sure the battery is disconnected.

You have no power to anything? You tried jumping the slav or the starter?

Does anything else on the boat work? Horn, lights, bilge blower, bilge pump, radio???

Chief and Bob thank you for the help thus far... I do have power to Horn, lights, bilge, radio. I see on the left side 2 red plastic buttons with 50 on them (ignition & trim i guess) when I follow battery red cable seem that they are attached to them which you have to take off the guard because they are installed behind. I'm looking for the spring clip now and will check back in a few minutes...

Being a 92 you should have 50 amp breakers, not fuses which you have already found, I forgot to mention for you to check the power trim, does it work?

Yes the trim works fine... i tried swaping the two black 50amps and didn't work but when I put them how they were then everything again works but no start... doesn't even make sounds when key is turned.
I looked for spring type fuse holder and do not see anywhere - do you know which one is for the ignition? looking at motor the one on left or right? Sounds like im finally in the right spot though

One suggestion is to try and Hot-wire the Starter, directly from the battery, and see if you can crank it that way.

If not, then it is the Starter, or a Solenoid.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce... the internet would be even better if I could pull up photos of what we are talking about :)

Yes.

Just run a jumper lead from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter lead on the starter solenoid, and see if it cranks.

What you are doing is to bypass the boat's wiring and starter button/switch, and energising the Starter itself. It won't actually start, unless you also energise the ignition circuit.

If it cranks, then you can rule out the Starter, and Solenoid.

Bruce.

If I only had the brain of a mechanic or pictures lol
Think its time to call a professional - ofcourse with the weather we are having in Washington, going to be a while....maybe I'll post a add on Craigslist - come help me quick, will buy beer :)

If you have a multi meter that will read 12v maybe we can work through this?

This link will show you a wiring diagram for your engine. You will see the 2 50 amp breakers near the bottom just right of the middle. In this diagram the top one feeds the trim and the bottom one does the rest. If you take your meter and ground the black wire you should be able to take the red lead and touch all 4 of the big wires on those 2 breakers ( 2 terminals on each) and you should always have 12v on each of those terminals.

http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w169.pdf

ok no fuses.

Before you start spending money lay down on your back and look behind the keyswitch.

All the connections good on the switch ? one wire pop off ? No then take a screwdriver leave the key to run position, put water to the drive and looking at he starter, you will see 2 small wires, with 2 nuts holding on the wires, touch the screwdriver to jump the starter.

Just touch them to bridge the nuts. what happened ?

Bob- I tested all 4 wires and have volts as you said.
Chief- Keyswitch all wires in place nothing loose, I used screw driver and nothing.
Devil - When I run jumper straight to starter - it just click clank noise when touching it, I didn't have anyone turn key while doing it to see if it starts.

What do you guys think? Thanks for all the help so far.

If the Solenoid is just Clicking and Clanking, then the Starter Motor needs checking to see why the Bendix isn't being pulled in to mesh, and the starter motor not spinning.

Bruce.

There almost seems to be 2 problems here, even if the bendix was messed up he should get the same clicking when turning the key? Use the (dash wiring) link below to check power at the key switch, you should have power on the B terminal and then you should have power on the S terminal when trying to start (yellow/red wire) you'll also notice that this wire goes through the safety neutral switch in the gearshift and then it goes to the start assist solenoid which I'm assuming doesn't click either when trying to start?

http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w205.pdf

Switch shows B, I, S
B= Lights when key turned or starting
I= Lights when key turned or starting
S= only lights when starting

I'm dropping off at mechanic this morning if you have any last minute ideas that would be great.... from all we've done looks like Nuetral Switch issue?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOU HELP - AFTER A FEW HOURS AND HAVING NAPA TEST SOLENIOD AND STARTER (BOTH WORK GREAT). IT WAS THE SAFETY NEUTRAL SWITCH - WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS WHEN THEY WERE TUNING UP BOAT, THEY PUT WEIGHT ON THE GEAR MECHANISM MOUNTED ON TOP OF MOTOR - BENT IT TO WHERE IT GOT STUCK! TOTAL COST WAS $180 FOR MECHANIC TO FIGURE IT OUT...IF I HAD MORE PATIENCE I WOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT WITH ALL OF YOUR HELP.

THANK YOU AND HAPPY BOATING :)

TRENTON
ps. a way I can repay you all is discounted fees if your looking to buy or refinance your home [email protected]

THEY PUT WEIGHT ON THE GEAR MECHANISM MOUNTED ON TOP OF MOTOR - BENT IT TO WHERE IT GOT STUCK! TOTAL COST WAS $180 FOR MECHANIC TO FIGURE IT OUT = Someone stepped on it???? I hope you didn't have to pay the $180 unless I'm misinterpreting your reply, sounds like someone else caused the issue???

Yes you read it correct, the mechanic thought i was seloniod or starter so took to napa to test and they were okay... I told him I think its the neutral switch or gearing not locking into nueutral and then he noticed it had been stepped on or weight on it when they were putting all the hoses back on after being stored. He had it from 9:30-3:30 said 3 hours was all he'd charge at $60/hour total of $180.00 by fixing bent mechanism/greasing drive/plugs/fuel filter and oil change... pissed me off because with another day or two I would have figured it out since I tested everything already and narrowed it down to what was wrong.
Next time I'll be patient and do it myself, especially with the help of this website, yours and everyone elses expertise.

Trenton

Hi Guys...after mechanice did tune up and fixed neutral switch I took boat out for first time Saturday... ran about 30 minutes like a charm then while slowing down before going into neutral it died on me and wouldn't start back up.
Do you think it would be wise to have alternator tested?

Thanks,

Trenton

didnt you just take it to mechanic twice? at $60 an hour ? my first suggestion would be fire your incompetent mechanic . ill let everyone else input from here but unless you simply ran out of gas your mechanic sucks . also post what you mean by wont start ..does it turn over? clicking noise ? same as before ?in other words what is it doing when you try to start and it wont .

Not sure why you suspect the alternator? Do you have spark while cranking, pull a plug and look/listen for spark (have someone there to turn the key). Do you have fuel at the carb, pump the gas and look for a stream down the carb throat.

im new to this site i have an 92 chris craft concept with a 5.8l omc i have had the same issue just today i found that my lead going to the neutral switch had been unpluged and i couldn't start my boat. i replaced the seloniod however before i realized this. then i took my boat out on the water cuz i had been working on it in my back yard, where it ran fine before i took it out. anyway when i took it out i started it up had no problems for about 30 min when all of a sudden i had the same prob boat just died and wouldn't start. so i started with checking my lead to the neutral switch (which was connected) but being the clutz i am i accidentally broke one of the connectors the leads clipped too. after that i just touched the two ends of the leads together that were supposed to go into the neutral switch and to boat worked fine. so apparently i have a prob with my neutral switch which if someone dropped or stepped on yours i believe you might have the same issue. i just found a site where i can buy just the neutral switch by it self for only like 13$ instead of having to replace the entire remote control. hope this helps like i said i am new to this site and new to boating so am i just figuring it out as i go.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/O...L ASSEMBLY - CONCEALED SIDE MOUNT/parts.html#

Welcome to the best OMC board Ben!

Having a broken neutral switch won't cause you to stall but it will make starting again very difficult. You may have another issue if you continue to stall once you've warmed it up, how were your gauges at the time, temp, oil and voltage?

all those were fine i just changed the oil and bought a new battery, i hadn't touched the boat for two years cuz i couldnt solve this problem or didn't have the money to solve this problem. the last time i took my boat out two years ago it ran for 3 hours and then i stopped to eat and shut the engine off and couldn't start it. at the time someone told me to check the shift interrupter and i got it to start by touching together the leads that went into the shift interrupter which makes no sens at the time i didn't know what it did or what it was even called. but this year i set out to fix my boat and started with thinking it was the shift interrupter that caused the boat not to be able to start. but to be hones i really am hoping its the neutral switch cuz i think ican fix that:) i dont really know too much about boats and i have been afraid to take my boat out cuz of fear of it diying on me. i appriciate any help

I'm new to this site and also have a boat starting issue that I've just encountered. My boat motor is an '84 OMC (I think) that was overhauled in 98. It's 140 hp inboard/outboard. When I took it out on the lake for the 1st time, it ran great until I turned it off to take a swim. When I tried to restart it it didn't make any clicks or anything. I was able to find a knife and jump the solenoid posts and it started fine. I replaced the solenoid and took it out the next weekend and it ran great. Then, last weekend, after taking the kids tubing, I had the same problem. It wouldn't start but I was able to jump the solenoid. When I got the boat back to the dock, it cranked a few times and then wouldn't make a noise when I turned the key. I tried to jump the solenoid, but nothing happens. The 2 large fuses are good (50a) and the battery is fully charged. I tried to start it again today, and I get a single click in the engine copartment. I try to jump the solenoid and nothing happens. Please suggest something.

Thanks,
Allen (Austin, TX)

kinda sounds like a grounding problem check all main cables for good ground if you got the cables that you screw down on you wires redo them to make sure no corosion where they mount to sylinoid check there where it mounts to motor check there bad grounds can do diffrent things if bas

run jumper wire from positive side of battery to the s post on sylinoid make sure you pull the small wire off of sylinoid before doing this you dont want back feed

Back