Logo

rock damage - trans ok?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I had my boat hauled this morning (see earlier post) and it's pretty banged up.

Strut is bent 3-4" which put a nice curve in the shaft. Rudder is bent and prop is shot.

What kind of potential damage does an impact like this do to the transmission? It seemed fine but I only had it/out of gear when I got to the slip, maybe 1/2 dozen times. Are they designed to take this kind of sudden impact? The prop didn't shear.

I'm thinking ahead to my re-launch after the insurance claim is closed and all the work is done.

Bob

When the shaft is out, rotate the output flange of the transmission by hand. Note any wobble or roughness. It's not much of a test, but if it fails that, if fails.
I've ruined more transmissions with seawater than the several impacts I've done.

What trans is it? I would think it would be ok as long as the output flange is not bent at all. If possible let the insurance adjuster know that you would like to keep the claim open until all is repaired and you can do an in water test.

Pictures?

Those BW gears are tough, mechanically. I'd say if DD's test works you should be ok. I like Rich's idea of getting that area straight with the adjuster before signing off.

I've seen many mangled drivetrains over the years and never seen a BW gear 'fail' due to a grounding....did see a twindisc case crack, once, but that was on a high speed open boat that hit an oyster bar at over 40 knots. Lets say the gear was the least of that owner's worries.

Back