Logo

Stumbling Engine

tony1949

I own a 2005 Tiara 3600 Sovran with Twin Crusader 8.1 MPI engines. At the end of last boating season I was taking the boat to its winter home in Portland CT. I purchased the boat new.

During the run up the Ct river the port engine began to stumble. I was running around 3400-3500 rpm. I dropped the throtle to under 3000 rpm and the engine seemed to smooth out. I advised Portland about the situation and they checked out the engine and didn't find a problem. Thought it was a fuel issue and changed out the fuel filters.

Fast forward to the spring launch. I brought the river down the CT river to its summer home at. The boat seemed to run fine. Our first trip was from Westbrook, CT to New Rochelle, NY. The boat performed flawlessly on the trip to New Rochelle, NY. On the return trip I stopped in Cos Cob, Ct to fuel up. We fueled up and continued our trip to Westbrook. Around New Haven, Ct., again running at 3400-3500 rpm the port engine began to stumble. Again I dropped the rpm to under 3000 rpm and the boat seemed to smooth out. We ran at this rpm for a short while then I pushed it up to 3400-3500 and it seemed to run ok then again the port engine began to stumble. I dropped the rpm back down and ran the rest of the trip under 3000 rpm. I again contacted the yard, and they again thought it was a fuel issue. I stated that it seemed odd that it would only happen to the port engine. They send a mechanic to my boat and once again changed the fuel filters. I asked that they take it out for a test ride but they declined.

With poor weather and other personal commitments it was a few weeks before I was able to get to the boat and actually take it out for a ride. With the 4th of July approaching and a planned trip to Block Island, RI I wanted to be sure the boat was running at it's peak. We left Westbrook and took a ride to the CT river, about 8 miles. The boat ran fine. I fueled up at Harbor one marina. On the way back to Westbrook the port engine again began to stumble. I was running at 3400-3500 rpm. I dropped it down to under 3000 and the engine seemed to smooth out. I ran it this way for a short time then pushed it up to 3400-3500 rpm. It ran fine for a short distance and then the port engine began to stumble.

I contacted the yard and they said that it must be a fuel problem. I am completely perplexed at how this can be solely a fuel problem. It would seem logical that at some time I would have a problem with the starboard engine.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this situation

I would have to believe your fuel filters are not the problem. That woyuld have to be some really bad gasoline from several sources but since you are seemingly starving for fuel, your fuel pump or delivery system seem suspect. You are obviously able to repeat the problem at the same point in operation each time.

Back