Logo

Mariner Magnum 40hp

rak

Need to know location of water pump on the above motor. It's a 1994 4cylinder 2 cycle. Worked fine when put into storage at end of last year. Now.. no water from the "pee hole". Motor flushed at end of last season with fresh water. I have experience with small engines but not with outboards. I checked the owners manual and there is a service intervial for replacing pump inpeller at 100hrs. My guess is the pump and or impeller needs to be replaced. Before I drop the cash to have the local repair shop do the work I want to see how big of a job it is. All help appreciated.
rich

The waterpump is located in the lower unit (or the foot which is held on by a few bolts).

On a 40 horse it's not even really an akward job. But there are a few seals and gaskets that have to go back on in order so I would suggest at least dropping the 35 bucks for a Seloc's manual.

For about 20 bucks you can get a new impeller and the couple gaskets you will need.

Even at 95 bucks for a full blown waterpump rebuild kit (and the cost of a Seloc's manual) you would still save over what a shop would charge in most places.

A "first timer" with the aid of a manual can take the lower unit off, do the maintenance and slap her all back together is less than 2 hours....

Is the engine getting hot? If the engine isn't getting hot and it just doesn't have a pee stream, try running a piece of wire up the pee hose, or follow the hose to where it connects to the exhaust housing and pull it off. Start the motor on the hose to see if it pees. Spiders like to crawl up the hose over the winter and make nests that block it off.

Back