Logo

Tamd41a

goody

Regular Contributor
had boat for a ride tonight on the way back engine got a high temp. alarm shutdown let it cool for a while ran boat back slow i know there are two thermostats hoping the one for running at higher rpms is bad anyone have any input
thank you,
goody

Re: Tamd41a overheating

i don't know spanish? thanks anyway went in water tonight checked bottom intake for cooling all that was clear also checked strainer that was clean also i pulled basket out and opened seacock plenty of water coming in took boat out under a load it went to 200* and i got a overheat alarm shutdown let it cool ran boat back to dock slow 150*
thanks
goody

You can run it slow forever and it will never overheat even if there is absolutely no raw water coming through. When its under load engine makes heat, and even the smallest issue in the cooling system (usually raw water side) will show up as high or raised temp. Other guy was saying to check raw water pump. I would suggest you check raw water flow at your exhaust elbow (exit point), see if there seems to be enough water coming through. I had issues with clogged aftercooler element, and engine would shoot to 200F in 2 minutes under load. I could cruise all day under 2500rpm and temp would stay in 175F range

On my SeaRay 340 SDB I run 2 of them.
In January I opened the heatexchanger and I was surprised how clogged they were. (I am in the Med) It is easy to clean them... first washing with water, then with a long welding-wire claening the pipes then cleaning the elements with citric acid. The zink (changed 1/2 year ago) looked like grey mudd.

I did the same with oil-cooler element.

Klaus

My top 3 is raw water pump impeller, after cooler, and exhaust elbow. The reason for the impeller is that upon close examination of the plate (found score lines), and the impeller had both waear flats and when I bent the rubber back and forth found a rip in one rib and many tiny cracks in the others. Replacing BOTH parts made a big improvement. (Note the impeller turns counter clockwise...fyi when replacing it).
Note on the thermostats.... I think Penta has done away with the stepped temps. I was only able to get the single temp showing for the P model. They are bullet proof and probably didn't need to be replace.

Back