Logo

damn, hit a rock today and need to come out.

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I was cruising along about 10 knots and then all of a sudden, bam. In 18' of water, well offshore, nothing on the chart.

I haven't pulled it yet but here's what I know so far:

Steering is tight and starboard side rudder is making noise when I turn. I assume that the rudder is bent and it's binding up.

Starboard shaft stuffing box is wobbling and squeaking in gear. I'm hoping the shaft isn't bent and it just got knocked out of alignment. It wasn't a huge impact so clinging this hope. I assume that the prop is all banged up.

I think the port side avoided all damage. Both sides shifted fine in/out gear so I think I avoided any damage there.

Sherman, do you want to sell your props or can you send me the specifics on where you got yours? I might as well upgrade them now if it's going to be out.

Are the rudders easily had for a mid cabin? I'm already concerned about lead time on parts, I can see weeks slipping by at the worst possible time.

thanks,

Bob

www.buckalgonquin.com

Sorry to hear that. My father whacked a rock many years ago. Bent a rudder, folded both props, bent and pulled one shaft out of the coupler but stayed in the stuffing box, and bent a strut. Luckily she stayed afloat and everyone made it back to shore ok.
Hope you marked the spot on a GPS.

Last edited:
There are those who have and those who will. As for me, I have done it three times. A submerged log in the Mississippi River, a wing dam in the Mississippi River that was not marked on the charts and a dredge spoil area in a marina in New Orleans that was not marked. On an average it cost me $1,000 per lesson. I haven't had a repeat since 2002 so hopefully I have my experiences behind me.

My advice is to get the boat on the hard and inspect and make the repairs. Be sure to match the props. Mismatched props don't make for the most efficient boating.

Chuck Hanson, PhD
University of Hard Knocks

oops, wrong forum. I meant to post this on the Trojan board.

Unfortunately, I didn't mark the location... I thought of that a couple of hours later. I know where it is but wish I recorded the spot.

You can try to find it in an aerial picture on something like google maps (and warn the rest of us and the Coasties).

Back