Logo

1995 60hp Evinrude won't turn over.

95Evinrude

Hi
I have a 95 60hp evinrude 3 cyl. It sat for 30 days prior to last weekend without being cranked. Last weekend it was being stubborn but finally did crank after a few minutes. I ran it for about 2 hours full throttle then trailered her after flushing it. Today i tried to crank her up and she would not kick over. Wore down the battery trying. It was backfiring but would never kick over. Is it possible my carbs need to be cleaned out? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Re: 95 Evinrude won't turn over.

Check compression... should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders.

Check spark (with spark plugs removed)... should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Don't waste your time checking spark by using the spark plugs.

The engine must crank over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator to provide the proper voltage to energize the powerpack. Anything less results in weak, erratic, or no ignition.

A slow cranking engine..... lucky if it ever starts.

Note: No offense intended here, just info. Cranking pertains to the engine being turned over by the starter as a fellow member has stated below.

(Crank vs Start Explanation)
(By "Xcuseme" of iboats
)

The following was posted by a forum member (Xcuseme) as an explanation to eliminate confusion pertaining to ther term of "Cranking" vs "Starting". I thought it was well worth
saving for reposting when needed.
OK, I see where this is going..it's all about terminology. Cranking or 'to crank the motor' is the act of rotating the crank shaft (and flywheel) of the motor. By pulling the rope of a rope start motor OR using the starter to accomplish the same thing, you're cranking the motor. Cranking the motor is NOT starting the motor, but you do have to crank the motor in order to start it . Unless the ignition has been disabled, cranking the motor will normally start the motor.

The motor should not be running when doing a compression test. Disabling the ignition system does 2 things. It prevents the motor from accidently starting and protects the ignition system from damage.

A recent poster said " My motor won't CRANK up".......this is confusing. Others will then ask " Are you saying the motor won't START or are you saying the motor won't turn over (rotate) because of a defective electric starter. The poster would have made things clear by saying 'My motor won't START up'. The terms Crank and Start are not interchangeable.

Re: 95 Evinrude won't turn over.

My motor is cranking but not starting. The motor was serviced in Feb. the mechanic said my compression was all at 130 spark plugs were replaced then as well.

Back