Logo

2.3L OMC Cobra = 2.3L Ford Mustang

chef92

I am looking for an engine part (cam shaft and auxiliary shaft) for my 1989 2.3L OMC Ford Cobra. I've been told it's the same block as the 2.3L engines Ford put in the Mustang LX for that year. I know that boat engines have marine parts on them but I would have to imagine that the internal workings like the shafts, pistons, rods, etc... are the same between car and boat. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Confirm. Gasket set pistons exhaust valves camshaft casting plugs and water pump differ. Cars generally don't run in salt water.

Last edited:
The 1985 - 1989 Merkur XR4Ti used a 140/175 HP turbocharged 2.3L Ford.

The Ford Turbo Coupe used a 175/195 HP 2.3L turbocharged engine.

This style engine started out as the Ford Pinto 2.0L circa 1970.

Many rural, small county dirt tracks featured Pinto/Mustang II racing with these engines.

I just changed out my 1990 2.3 Liter, the one that I pulled from my boat had a rod knock. the cylinder head is in perfect condition though. Let me know if you're interested.

I need to replace the block on my 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3L OMC (Ford). What is the best way to do this? All marine parts are there now and in good condition. Would a long block for a 89 Ford Mustang/Ranger etc, work? Are there any special instructions in separating the block from the stern drive? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

soldierjack

PS: this boat will never see salt water.

I need to replace the block on my 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3L OMC (Ford). What is the best way to do this?
Don't take this as me being sarcastic. Your best option is to find a new boat. Yours, if the engine is bad, is not worth putting any money in. If you do find a replacement and spend the effort and money to do the switch, the boat still won't be worth much. If you plan on keeping it for another ten years it MIGHT be worthwhile. You really have to ask yourself the tough question. I don't write this to be flippant, just giving you my 45 years worth of boating experience.

You can't put a V8 in, the gears in the 2.3 drive won't work with the larger engine. You are stuck with the 2.3. Find a cheap donor engine and transfer your parts from the bad to the not so bad. Rotsa ruck,.

the cutout for the drive will fit a merc alpha 1 and 2.

So if you find a donor boat with a bad hull but a good drive and 3.0 motor, put it right next to the hull your in love with and tranfer everything over to your hull.

You will need everything, throttle ,motor, inner plate, in short everything.

Everything that hangs off the back.

Really if you look hard, as i did i got the whole boat with the trailer for 400 bucks.

All i wanted was the motor.

Back