Logo

850 85hp Repair Manual's

ballbk

I have recently purchased the Clymer, Factory Service, and Seloc's manuals and I have to give the kudos to the Seloc manual. I retired after 20 years of working on Air Force aircraft and the Clymer and Factory were no help for me but the Seloc book was on the money.

Clymers manuals are excellent for keeping on-board the boat. That way if you ever get stranded on an island you have something that will help start a fire.

The factory service manuals are really written for tech's who have taken the "certified course" - they assume the user is already extremely familiar with Merc outboards in general and just needs the "specs" available for reference.

Seloc's really has done an excellent job with most manuals. They take the perspective of the "back-yard mechanic" with excellent do/don't sections etc. However, like any multi-motor manual you may not get a picture or diagram that accurately reflects what you are seeing in front of you.

I think you will find, over time, if you do all the repair and maint work on your own motor that you will use the Seloc's for the step by step process but you will refer to the Service manual if you get into anything more complex than doing a waterpump...

Back