Logo

Help ID these motors

paw2000

Contributing Member
Hi, I'm considering a boat purchase and these are the motors currently installed. The boat is an 88 chris craft commander. The motors appear to be 350ci motors, they have center bolt valve covers so they are late 80's?

The seller states they have 2800 hrs is that high for a 22yr boat? They will be starting the motors for me to verify they run. Also are these counter roatating engine? or is it done at the trans?http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/00000000000000003-32c.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/00000000000000003-31c.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/00000000000000003-1c.jpg

Under the bracket that holds the heat exchanger on and at the top of the bellhousing will be the engine identification plate. Trans ID plate will be by the port mounting bracket on each trans (if a velvet drive).

Thanks for the info, I'll check for them. When I saw the motors I was expecting electronic ignition, but I see a standard coil. Is it possible these have an ignition module somewhere else not on the motor? I see each motor has a harness going to a bulkhead, would that be going to an ignition module? Did crusader use points distributors in the 80's

I tried finding info on the motors, hadn't had much luck. I'll check the plates and hopefully get so answers.

2800 hours is high use. Whether it is 22 or 52 yrs old, the hours are up there and while you may easily see another season or so, you may also be on borrowed time. If the engines are originals, and they look like they are, you likely have points, a peek into the dist cap will clear that up. The ignition module is typically located on the distributor with a telltale recess in the cap about 3" long. If you can check compression, you may have a bit more information that can help you.

While everyone's comfort level is different, when I bought our boat, it was a similiar situation in my mind. even though the engines were a repower with just a few hundred hours. I had NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE of their maintenance and I was unwilling to find out 20 miles offshore or away from the dock 1/2 mile up stream. Knowing what to expect established a very high confidence and safety level....for me, but I am a paranoid nut !
Anyone else care to elaborate ( on the engine) ?

Pay attention to whether the engines are already warmed, how quickly they start, stall and get up to operating temps. How many owners....Listen for any unusual noise, tapping, clicking, check the oil and IF....IF possible, get a few ounces of oil and have it analyzed for $25.00..that information may yield some interesting results. One of my "other" interests is rare vintage American motorcycles. Imagine the amount of owners who had their own ideas of what was 'cool' at the time between 1910 to 1960. To find something intact and usable is extreme. Most need tremendous restoration to UN DO the "work" of so many others.

On the other hand, you may find it a well maintained machine fully capable of much more service. GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Back