Logo

crusader 7.4l mpi fuel issue?

killerbe20

i recently purchased a 2000 tiara 29 open with 7.4l mpi crusaders. The boat came from florida to wisconsin. It only had 300 hours on the motors when purchased, hours confirmed by computer on mechanical survey.

the boat obviously has had little use through out its life. it came to me with half a tank of gas (approx 100 gal) no idea of age. the boat ran like a top for the first fishing contest until time to power in. the starboard motor surged under power on the way in. after sitting for a couple days the boat ran like a top again. used all the old fuel and topped the tank off with new fuel. fished again with no issues, the next fishing trip the port motor surged and would not power up.

replaced caps and rotors, emptied the water fuel separators and added fuel treatment. one motor had clean fuel one had dirty fuel. went for a ride and the boat ran like a top again.

fished the next day in rough seas and neither motor would power up on the way in. emptied the separators at least ten times on the way in, dirty every time. they would run for a few minutes then surge and lose power.

just looking for advice to see if i am in the right direction with dirty fuel tank/system. i may have "blinders" on and would like any other suggestions if reasonable.

thanks in advance!
josh

Buy a case of water separators 'cause thats the only way you're gonna get all that water out! Sorry. Eventually it will be gone and she'll run fine.

Alternatively, you could make up a rig to suck out ONLY the bottom few inches of gas: You'd need an electric pump and a stiff tube that is inserted where the fuel level gages are (usually). The tube has to reach the bottom of the tank, and the boat needs to sit dead still before and during the removal.

Jeff

thanks, thats what i figured.

last night i also took apart the "pancake" filter next to the water/fuel separator and the screen and casing was nearly completely clogged up with gunk. once again the boat ran like a top after wards. keeping my fingers crossed!

Back