Logo

bell housing /exhaust

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hey guys , i recently purchased a used bellhousing from e bay after getting a newer engine (chevy 305) because the exhhaust manifolds were larger on the engine than the old one. the description said 4 , 6 , or 8 cyl . when it arrived i noticed that on the intermediate side of the new bell housing had a metal bracket on one side with a piece of rubber attatched to it. my question is would this be a flapper as ive heard mentioned on other peoples posts or is it a plug and this bell housing was used in a 4 cyl engine? do i just remove it or do i need to find another one and install it on the other side? hoping it is a plug for 4 cyl application as ive been waiting 2 weeks for the new gasket and am itching to install the new engine and start hitting the water. thanx in advance....dimitri

sounds like the exhaust flapper - is it spring loaded? does it slam shut with a dull thwump when you let go?

V6 and V8 bellhousings came with a flapper on both sides.

For some whacky reason, 4 cylinders (and prolly inline 6) only have one in the port side.

They rely on that rubber cap to keep the boat from sinking. It kills me that they saved $4 per boat by leaving the starboard flapper out of inline units.

I have V8 bellhousings and exhaust shutters here. where are you?

yeah i was afraid of that , chit. i just got my gaskets too ,thats why i asked. ive been thinkin bout askin that question ever since the new bell housing showed up , but it just kept slipping my mind. sorry chief , no pic , but it is on port side like b said.
i live in auburn ca . where do you live hystat?

ps .. i checked with every evinrude dealer within 100 miles of me and none of these guys carry that blasted flapper. i ordered it off of this site for $68. flapper and ss clamp. should be here next week and i can finally install this new engine. if not for the love of the challenge and the desire for fishing , my wifes nagging surely would have drove me to scrap trhis old heap. haha, you gotta love being a boat owner

ps .. i checked with every evinrude dealer within 100 miles of me and none of these guys carry that blasted flapper. i ordered it off of this site for $68. flapper and ss clamp. should be here next week and i can finally install this new engine. if not for the love of the challenge and the desire for fishing , my wifes nagging surely would have drove me to scrap trhis old heap. haha, you gotta love being a boat owner

It's quiet sometime now, have you installed the new engine?

unbelievable that my inexperienced blundering through a project that is clearly out of my league could be helpful to anyone lol. what did you do ? sell your boat?.. haha... happy boating...dimitri

Back