Logo

High oil pressure, engine ID plate location

Windrider

Hello, cherished experts!

I have Twin 2005 Crusader 6.0 MPIs on 2005 Carver Mariner, and have the following two questions:

1) During cruise operation, I notice the port engine's oil pressure is significantly higher than the stbd engine's, approaching 80 psi. Is that problematic? Engine has been running fine otherwise, but I just today noticed some oil under that engine (curiously, the leaked oil is black, while the crankcase oil is still nice and golden -- I cannot tell from where the oil leaked).

2) I've tried for over an hour, crawling all over, around and under both engines to find the ID plates, but to no avail. Manual only shows location for 8.1 MPI. Any clues as to where they might have hidden the plates?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you can offer!

The ID plates were used on the older versions; yours should have decals, at least for the engines. Usually they get applied to the rocker covers. On some, taking off the engine cover helps.

The oil that leaked could be old oil. Gravity usually pulls it straight down, off the engine. From there, you have to follow the trail until you find a source.

As far as oil pressure, dash instruments are not known for their accuracy. You could switch gauges and see if the high reading follows the gauge or the engine. The standard service procedure is to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

I have noticed that when I change oil the clean oil fills the dip stick tube. This oil is trapped in the tube. It is normally new and clean. It stays that way until I change the oil. When I extract the oil it is always much darker than the new oil although that which is on the dip stick is clean. When one looks at a boat it is good to blow the oil out of the dip stick tube to see what the oil in the pan really looks like. Looking doesn't really answer the question of engine condition. A good analysis is needed to give a better indication.

Chuck Hanson

Back