Logo

1986 60HP Evinrude won't turn off

winman99

Regular Contributor
Hey all,
I was looking at a friends 1986 60HP Evinrude that would not turn off today. Everything worked great when he stored it in a heated garage last winter, but now it will not turn off, and the safety lanyard connected to the control box doesn't do anything either. The motor starts (using the key) and runs beautifully, but he has to pull the fuel line to stall the motor (he said the motor screamed when he tried choking it).

I'm guessing the ignition switch itself is the culprit, but would like some advice first. The dealer would likely have to order the switch (or it could be purchased online), but what if that isn't the problem?
We opened up the control box and looked at all the connections, and everything looks like brand new.

If I knew what wires to short out (or open) to test the switch I would try, but don't want to be shorting out an ignition and causing a bigger problem.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Wayne

Kill circuit is:

Black wire from powerhead ground to powerpack.
Black yellow wire from powerpack to raised "M" terminal of ignition switch.
Black wire from other regular "M" terminal of ignition switch to ground.

Also, some engines (not all) wiring harnesses have a small black wire leading from it which must be grounded to the powerhead, otherwise the kill circuit is eliminated.

An ohm meter should clear that problem up.

Back