Logo

'1975 15 hp johnson air silencer

dawnfogg

Contributing Member
Recently bought johnson '75 15hp manual start. Motor does not have air silencer. Looking for advice about whether not having one impacts performance and if I should invest in a new one.

Thanks

Re: '75 15 hp johnson air silencer

It doesn't add to the prformance of the engine BUT it is there for a reason. Best to pick one up.

Any idea where I might be able to find one. All the marine stores I checked say the part is no longer available.

There's plenty of those engine in the junk piles of various ouitboard repair shops, check with them. Also, put a "wanted" ad in the Antique Outboard Motor Club which is...... http://www.aomci.org/

Lots show up on ebay, although none at the moment.

The silencers/air box are the same for 9.9/15hp Johnson and Evinrude from 1974-92. Early ones were white, later units black. All are the same.

Don't forget the screws. 2 to the carb(w/washers) and 4 up top.

It's a good practice to use loctite blue on the 2 inner screws.

Hello,

I discovered mouse nest in the air silencer. The mouse nest has crumbs of filter element mixed in it. Does the air silencer contains filter element inside or it's just a hollow box? I afraid the mouse might have chewed it or up. Please help.

Lots show up on ebay, although none at the moment.

The silencers/air box are the same for 9.9/15hp Johnson and Evinrude from 1974-92. Early ones were white, later units black. All are the same.

Don't forget the screws. 2 to the carb(w/washers) and 4 up top.

It's a good practice to use loctite blue on the 2 inner screws.

Thank you. I don't know anything about boat motors. The air silencer looks like the air filter in the lawn mower engine. I figured air intake thru this box goes into the carb should be filtered. If this box is hollow, where is the filter?

Thanks

This post is two years old! (The box is hollow)

Back