Logo

Mariner 90hp 1999 NOT FIREING!!!!!!

fletcher90hp

As the title suggests my 1999 mariner 90hp (3 cylinder) outboard motor is not starting,i was out on the water and she was running an absolute dream then went to take my mate kneee boarding and she wouldnt start, the starter is turing the crank fine.First thing i done was change the plugs i then checked for a spark and to me seems kind of weak and is intermiting.I traced out most of the wiring and all seem well accept from the rectangular shaped black "thing" which sits tight to the cdi which has a white,black and green wire coming out one side and a blue coming out the other(what is this)????It seems that something may have blown inside as the "rubbery sort of stuff has cracked"The engine is not even trying to start and is getting fuel to the carbs.Im totaly confused please help!!!!

Oh and the engine serial no. is 09818231 if this helps.
Thanks james

As you've diagnosed, you likely have a spark issue. Since you've changed the plugs and checked out the connections, you may be looking at a cooked ignition module.

That unit is an voltage adapter module, but that should not be on a '99 engine that came with CDM type ign coils. You are sure this is an '99? Your serial # is missing a digit. Is that 0G_____? The adapter was used on older motors that came with a "black stator" that were retrofitted to a "red" one.

These are 2 different animals with there own set of problems. Gotta be '96. What that module did was lower the voltage from the red stator (which is much hotter) to somthing the CDI box could handle. (~300 volts max.)

Last edited:
Back