Logo

'1994 johnson 88hp spl stalls when you engage forward or rev

brett1970

Hello everyone.
I have a '94 johnson 88spl that i recently bought. It runs fine on the muffs ( you can engage fwd or rev) but i put the boat in the water and it started up ok (didnt run quite as smooth as it did on the muffs) but when you put it in gear it runs for a few seconds and then stalls.I have fresh fuel in it. I am thinking carb problems but i'm not sure why it runs fine on the muffs but not in the water.Could this be because the motor is not under a load?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: '94 johnson 88spl stalls when you engage forward or rev

On a flushette, there is no exhaust back pressure...... the engine would run on two or three cylinders.

If you have proper compression and spark, as your line of thought..... the problem is most likely fouled carburetors.

On a flushette, there is no exhaust back pressure...... the engine would run on two or three cylinders.

If you have proper compression and spark, as your line of thought..... the problem is most likely fouled carburetors.

thanks. I know a bit about carbs on motorcycles but am not really familiar with outboard motor carbs.Anything special i need to know before i try this myself? Also i am having trouble finding the correct fuel line connect that goes to the motor.The OMC fittings have too small of a hole for the clip side.The local marine store has no idea where to find one.

thanks again

Carbs are pretty simply compared to a automotive carb. Make notes and take pictures so as not to rely on memory.

Hoses? Either your dealership or a automotice parts type store.

Last edited:

Carbs are pretty simply compared to a sutomotive carb. Make notes and take pictures so as not to rely on memory.

Hoses? Either your dealership or a automotice parts type store.

it's actually the plastic female connector that plugs onto the male end on the motor. The hole on the top of the female connector is too small to go onto the male connector on the motor. I don't know if it's something special to a 88spl or not, but i cannot locate the correct one.The ones i have seen at the stores here all have a smaller hole on the top.It is the original male fitting on the motor if that helps.

thanks

well, i may have found my problem. Got home today and pulled the cowl off and found a sparkplug wire that had came loose from the spark plug cap.:rolleyes:
I am not sure how that happened but i will replace all the plug wires this week and give it another go this weekend.

Before you pitch the wires, take a good look at them. Many are meant to have the cap "screwed onto them." You may not need new wires at all. The correct wire test, as I recall, includes a cold beer, the hood off, running on the flushette, and looking for arcs (after dark, of course.)

If you're speaking of the plastic fuel connector that is part of the fuel tank line, the one that clips onto the male connector at the engine............

I would suspect that the sleeve has come off od one of the older female fuel connectors and is stuck to the engine's male connector (it happens). If so, remove that stuck sleeve.

Before you pitch the wires, take a good look at them. Many are meant to have the cap "screwed onto them." You may not need new wires at all. The correct wire test, as I recall, includes a cold beer, the hood off, running on the flushette, and looking for arcs (after dark, of course.)

thanks! I think i like this diagnosis procedure. Sounds like a great idea.:D

If you're speaking of the plastic fuel connector that is part of the fuel tank line, the one that clips onto the male connector at the engine............

I would suspect that the sleeve has come off od one of the older female fuel connectors and is stuck to the engine's male connector (it happens). If so, remove that stuck sleeve.

This is the one i speak of.I will check it out tomorrow.Thanks a lot for the info.:)

I just had the same problem,perfect on the muffs but garbage in the water.
I have a 1980 70hp Johnson outboard and found the problem to be the HEAD GASKET .I changed both the head gasket and water jacket gasket.

Let us know about that sleeve.

Yep, you guys were right on the money about that one.It was a little tough to get off but i'm back in business now.I would have never thought of that if it was'nt mentioned here.Thanks a lot everyone.I plan on putting it back in the water over the weekend and see what happens.:DThanks again joereeves

Always glad to help. Also glad that the problem was a small one.

Well, i had planned on taking the boat to the water this weekend to try it out but the wife has other plans for me this weekend.Do you guys think that running the motor in a large ( i have a very large garbage can ) garbage can simulate running it in the water such as a river??This looks like the only test i will have time for this weekend.

thanks

brett

I've done that many times. Just keep the hose running to keep the water cool, and DO NOT attempt to open the throttle with the engine in gear. Also do not exceed 1800 rpm in neutral.

thanks Joe. I imagine that opening the throttle in gear would sling all the water out of the garbage can. Would it hurt to give it just a little throttle in gear just to make sure it doesnt die out (i'm talking a touch here).

I Strongly suggest a plastic garbage can...... a large one.

well, i tried the garbage can test. Good news is that the big plastic can is fine.The bad news is that i think i will need to clean carbs.I am debating trying it myself but i hear talk of "link and sync". Is this a procedure that is required on a premix (non oil injection) motor??I don't want to get in over my head and end up spending money on parts and still have to take it to a tech to fix my screw ups.

Link and synchronization..... You can do it.

The measurement between the vertical throttle arm and the cam that has the scribe mark on it...... do not distrub that measurement.

On reasembly..... Make sure that the cam is not touching the carburetor throttle cam roller. (A temporarily step)

Make sure that the linkage between the throttle butterflies on the two carburetors is such that both throttle butterflies open and close at the same time. You do not want one butterfly closed and one slightly open.

Now, moving the throttle control lever if necessary, adjust the throttle cam roller (set screw) so that the roller contacts the cam when the scribe mark is dead center with the roller. This is the point where the throttle butterflies just start to open, not before or after.

That's about it.

Thanks again Joe. I will give it a go this week when i have time off.The wife and i are trying to get out on the water again before it gets too bad over here in Pensacola.Thanks to you and everyone on this site that has been helping me through this.

Back