Logo

API Starters

troym

Advanced Contributor
Replaced the OEM starter about 3 years ago and saved myself $30 by buying the aftermarket (API) starter instead of OEM.
So far this starter has cost me:
-had to pull the engine to replace the flywheel ring gear. Replacement bolts that came with the starter were just a bit too long. They bottomed out before they really clamped the starter in place. Resulting misalignment was enough to knock the teeth of the fly wheel gear. Ring gear wasn't much ($20) but the associated work was enourmous.
- $500 for a tow. The API starter's plastic gear decided to wipe itself while I was out on the lower Chesapeake this weekend.
- And, now all is safe and sound, but I'm right back where I was 3 years ago buying a new (OEM) starter.

I hate that merc charges a more money for repair parts, especially when they are seemingly the same parts as the aftermarket. But I'm getting to the point where it just isn't worth the marginal savings. And I'm finding out, at least in some cases, there is a huge difference in the quality.

For the love of all that is holy...PLASTIC GEARS IN STARTERS?

For those that choose to roll the dice with aftermarket, my advice is to do so with a very sceptical examination of what you're buying.

It also should be said where you get the starter. Once again db electrical they stand behind the products they sell. Even when the starter is not at fault but the installer they will honor the warranty.

Back