Logo

VOLVO PENTA 5.0 GXI will not turnover

jcblain11

I recently bought a boat and it has a new volvo penta GXI (30 hrs on it) and this past weekend after being anchored for a couple hours the boat would not start. Tried to jump it with no luck. I took one of the batteries out of my truck and hooked it up and it still would not start so it is not the battery. Everything including the radio, lights, depth finder, and trims works. You turn the key and it makes the loud beep right before you start but when you try and start it I am getting absolutely nothing. My guess is the possibility that it's not registering in nuetral but not real sure how I would fix it. I've messed with the gear shift to try and get it in nuetral with no luck of ever getting it to turnover. Has anyone had this similar situation or know how to get this fixed?

Thanks

You mention that you were anchored.
Long shot... maybe not! But pull your spark plugs to eliminate the possibility of water reversion.
Do this ASAP in the event that this did occur.

Also, try to move the crankshaft by grabbing the front crank pulley or belt.
You may just have a starter motor that is bad.... or like you suggested, a neutral safety switch that is not working!

Rather than arcing across terminals, use a remote starter switch if you attempt to try the starter motor.

Back