Logo

Crusader brain lock or what?

Hi all, Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. 2008 Crusader Classic,carbed with Mallory electronic ignition. Last time out last fall had a tough time gettin her to start,figured just cold blooded no big deal.Durring the winter months installed new plugs and found only 2 of the 8 plugs were gapped at the.06 recommended gap, the rest were between .02 and .06. Well this spring she starts terribly hard and runs bad. Went to swap out coil and noticed written on side of coil no external resister required......but located right next to this coil is a ballast resister.This is right from Crusader. We eliminated the ballast resister and she starts perfect and runs great. Any thoughts?
Michigander

You'll be okay, but I'd install a 1 to 1.5 ohm resistor anyway. Why? If you leave the ignition on by accident the coil will burn up. Keeping the resistor in the circuit prevents that. From what I've seen, a good 12 volt coil with the resistor throws plenty of spark.

Jeff

Last edited:
Won't burn up with the electronic trigger as there isn't any current flowing thru the coil.

A while back (early 2000's), they used to have either a mallory or a presolite distributor. One was electronic, one wasn't. i bet the harness had provisions for the resistor.

Could have also had the points and somebody upgraded to the electronic trigger and failed to remove the ballast. somebody could have also swapped the coil and failed to pull the ballast, too.

I checked the service pubs - should have the ballast from the factory so I'd suspect the coil is the 'wrong' item.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This engine has not been touched since it left Crusader other than by myself. All ignition parts other than the plugs I replaced came from Crusader.I suspect that after being marinized they couldn't get it to start with the recommended .06 gap with the "double" resister ignition either...therefore some of the plugs were regapped much less than .06 to get her to fire up.Someone fixed the symptom but not the cause!

Back