Logo

im an idiot!! Need input mercruiser stern 19710 140

zachyfarms

Well so you know the story.I am new to boats AND an idiot I just purchased 1971 Bayliner I/O 140hp, 3.0L with mercruiser stern drive. well the engine was "recently rebuilt" i place in quotes cause now i question everything. The entire stern was not connected since engine rebuilt seller says just didnt get to putting back on the stern is in great shape ready to go.. I connected drained gear oil to find water in it like lots like it dumped pure clean water for a few seconds before oil started coming out milky. small metal shavings. I figured drain and see how goes.. started right up engine purrring nice. but the is a loud clank pop clunk every few seconds from upper end of stern. Wow the upper gears are broke missing teeth shavings everywhere grooves into the chamber walls near gear edges. This guy sold me good.

anyways with this damage and water saying seals need be done lower too. any recommendations. I spnt 1000 on boat which was all my money right now. Ironically the stern seems to cost more then the damn boat. cand new gears be put in and is that even worth it with damage to walls inside. can used units be found anywhere. its a 1971 so is it a alpha bravo 1 just a mercruiser stern. Seems every site has a differnet date range for the same names. stern has 17 spline shaft into motor from u joints. i think it has 24/20 tooth gears and it has 13 spline for the lower unit shaft to upper. help with any direction as to find new stern, fix this one, where to find cheapest parts and what freaking stern is this Ie. alpha bravo etc..

Thank You and if i sound bitter cause my wife is getting to rub this one in my face on fathers day. and I told her we would be out this week on the boat. NOT

Re: im an idiot!! Need input mercruiser stern

I would like to be of some assistance if possible,maybe someone can answer these questions.I have an upper set of gears for a 1;98 gear ratio outdrive that was for a 1982 pre alpha outdrive 4 cyl mcm120 .I bought this set new on e-bay but decided to buy a brand new outdrive(craigslist $900 can you believe it "brand new in box") I will gladly give you this gear set if it will help you and it will fit your drive.

Let me know if I can help John jbcollins46@verizon .net

And further more do not look a gift horse in the mouth.I have my wife under the impression that my boat is always getting stuck and friends are helping me in.Now she never asks to go when I go fishing.Too bad Soo sad.

True. I am looking forward to convince the wife the boat got stuck if i get it out of the driveway. Ha ha.
You are most generous i will email you

yes the gears are perfect for him, but who is going to install them ? And he will need a new bearing and complete seal kit, cause every seal is shot.

Zach where are you ?

Last edited:

You bought a $1000 boat, I suspect the outdrive will not be your only issue. Sorry to pee in your cherios.

Im Here listening. I have figured out that my 1k purchase will surely cost more. I am going to get the seals and bearings in the near future to rebuild the upper unit.. A guy I know through work has hooked me up with a marine mech. who will help me out with the rebuilding.
As i get farther in i am thinking the lower unit has probably suffered some damage as well, but it is spinning free and shifts fine. Its hard to imagine whatever caused upper gears to tear apart didnt affect the lower unit. I am sure the lower seal replacement will require taking apart lower gears and i will be able to inspect.

How quiet should the lower unit be while turning the shaft by hand???

Back