Logo

Merc MCM 170 distributor/timing question

FourWinns127

Isn't the rotor on this engine supposed to point forward when the #1 (front) piston is at the top of the cylinder? Mine was pointing astern. This was after the motor quit last year while towing two college hockey players in tubes. I heard a "pop" and the engine hasn't run since. What besides a timing chain/gear problem could cause this?

The rotor must point to #1 wire in the cap , not always at #1 cylinder.
is there 12V at the + side of the coil?
Is there spark from the coil?

#1 wire is on front of distributor. When I checked the position of the rotor today after bringing the #1 piston to full up position, the rotor was pointing astern. This is incorrect right? If so, what besides a slipped timing chain caused by pulling the 2 tubers could have caused the "pop" I mentioned followed by a loss of ignition spark?

fuse blew. Fusable end on the starter went.

Pull a plug wire off a plug and stick a plug in and hold to the block crank the motor got spark?

FourWinns127
Take the #1 plug out, put your finger in the hole and turn the engine over manually until you get compression. Then line up the pulley to 0 degrees. Your rotor should be pointing to the #1 wire terminal, not necessarily the #1 spot on the cap, go from there.
Bert

Stripped dizzy gear? Sounds like your dizzy is not in the correct place. Pull it out and inspect it. make sure you're at TDC with valves closed and not the other cycle.

Back