Logo

Hard finding some 1994 OMC King Cobra Parts

Good afternoon,
I have a 1994 Chris Craft 237 Concept open bow with a 7.4 liter Volvo/OMC King Cobra set up. About 240 hours of fresh water only use. I need to take off the outdrive to change out the U joint bellows, shift cable and water inlet hose. Never changed out the U joints or gimble bearing but haven't had any problems so far.

Having trouble locating the water inlet hose. Looks like a molded / formed hose so I think I need the OMC part, or do other folks use a straight section of hose for this? Also the barbed nipple on the outdrive is not available. I am trying to get all the necessary parts together before taking this all apart. Any advice on what to expect would be appreciated. I have taken good care of the engine and changed the outdrive fluid and water pump impeller annually but never have pulled the outdrive.

Thank you for the help. I am new to this forum.

Mike

Last edited:
Do you mean the water input hose to the t-stat housing ??? I would use the OEM one if you can get one. See item #34, PN 3853243 and the water fitting that it attaches to is item # 68 in the 2nd pic , PN 3852844. The barb shows available at shop.evinrude.com but the hose doesn't so you may have to get creative.

hoseLarge.png

transomLarge.png

I am looking for part 76 on the diagram. The hose that goes between the tilting outdrive leg and the transom. It looks like a formed hose and I haven't been able to find it. Thought maybe folks are using a flexible straight piece of hose these days. Didn't want to have it kink when the drive tilts and cut off water flow. Guess I could use some straight hose and plumbing fittings to make some bends in it but thought there must be a simpler solution out there. Thank you for any help you guys have. I appreciate it.

Re: 1994 OMC King Cobra water inlet hose question

The part number is 3852845, hose water inlet, but I haven't been able to find a factory or after market part. Will a straight piece of water hose work or will it kink when the drive tilts?

Re: 1994 OMC King Cobra water inlet hose question

Thank you chiefalen. I do know what you mean by the spring - like some of the old radiator hoses with a stainless spring on the inside to keep it from collapsing. That's a great idea. I saw some water hose online that has a wire coil built in between the layers. I will have to take the outdrive apart to measure exactly what diameter hose to look for and go from there. Haven't checked closely enough yet to see just how much bending the hose will need to go through. I'll see if I can find some locally to get a feel for how easy those hoses flex. I will also look into the website you provided for his thoughts on this. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

Back