Logo

stuffing box temps, one side 25 degrees hotter

bobct

Advanced Contributor
After running a while and underway, my port side stuffing box reads about 80 degrees, Stb is about 115. Both are still relatively cool but obviously you can feel the stb side a little more. When I first re-packed, my Stb side was almost 200 so I've made some progress.

From what I've learned so far, you barely make contact with the GFO packing when doing the initial set. I tightened about 1/4 turn by hand which turned out to be too tight.

Anyway, I loosened the Stb packing nut, backed it off a little and will test again today. I'm happy with the port side and will leave as is.

The cooler the better but do you guys think 115 is too hot?

thanks,
Bob

Bob, I would THINK in such an environment with high thermal mass, that the 35 degree difference is too much. The heat sink attached to the boat (the water) can keep one shaft at 80 then the other should be about the same unless the friction from the packing is causing it to rise.

Whether or not the temps are cool...I have no idea but I am just sitting here day dreaming and THAT is what I thought of.

You don't say how much they are dripping running. Are they dripping at the same rate? They should leak running. Maybe once every 5 seconds or so.

I use similar packing and my boxes run stone cold all the time with minimal leakage.

Loosen that one up and keep an eye on the drip rate. You'll probably find it was just too tight.

Jeff

Mark, no change.... I'm going to get that side really dripping and take it for another run in the next day or so. I've put about 15 hours on it so maybe I've run it too long and won't be able to adjust it back.

If that doesn't work, I'll try repacking it again. I can't say that I've actually seen dripping while underway on either but I see a pool of water under that stuffing box hose. I need to stay under there a little longer next time and really watch the flow.

Bob

Back