Logo

4.3 Safety shut off Switch and Oil Pressure

reeter

my starter did not want to turn so after I jiggeled some wires in the back trying to maybe get a better conection then trying to crank it the starter finally engaged and turned the motor over .. it finally started after agressive choking but the Safety Shut Off kicked the oil pressure alarm off and the motor died and I saw no oil pressure.. (my heart fell through my postierior) knowing I have to build so much oil pressure before the electric fuel pump will kick in I assumed that in jiggleing wires I must have knocked off one of the 2 wires on what I thought was the oil sending unit.. turned out that the wires were ok but I was looking at the Saftey Shut Off Switch.. what I found later that the Sending Unit that I could not see did have the wire fall off the bottom.. ( I have the 4.3 in a Harris Pontoon and you can not see well untill you take off the back panel and look in from the back ) by the time i found out the problem I had turned the Saftey Shut Off Switch itself an must have broken the enternal parts as when I hooked everything back up still no pressure and would only start when I put some gas directly in the carb... I have since ordered new switch and sending unit.. my question is .. if I pull the sending unit and crank the engine and oil spurts out it would mean I have oil pressure and my oil pump is ok .. right? how big of a stream.should I see or feel .... if I take both wires off the Saftey Switch will that allow the pump to run gas into the carb so it will run... I'm waiting on parts but would like to run the boat while waiting....
Thanks,
Mark

you can bypass the switch for testing. Instead of pumping the oil out install a mech oil gauge inplace of the sender to check oil pressure

pulled the sending unit and turned the engine over and caught the oil in a plastic cup..it had gas in it and ate he bottom out of the cup. I checked the dip stick and found my dip stick showed about 6 inches above hash marks.. sucked out all of the block.. got 5 gallons of oil and gas out of it, removed the remote filter and drained it.. also heavy smell of gas.. I have refilled with 10w40 and plan to start it and run for a few minutes and thed drain and do it again.. what is causing that much fuel get by my carb and down in the block .. is it the safty shut off switch, any ideas..

Back