Logo

Reverse gear issue with remote controls (1993 evinrude 9.9hp)

jellybear

Hi all,
I've done two things to my 1993 evinrude 9.9hp engine: I've replaced the water pump and replaced the remote control cables (all spare parts bought at boats.net). Since then, I experience the following problem with my engine:
When trying to go into reverse gear with my remote control, you can hear a loud rapid ticking (gears wearing against each other?) but the reverse gear nevers "pops in". If I push the gear shift handle on the engine, the reverse gears pops in.
gearshift.jpg

So I lifted the hood of the engine, and I note that when I push the arm that the remote control cable connects to (shown in the red circle in the picture above) in reverse position, I get that ticking. Then, if I push a bit harder on the arm - but the arm really remains in the same position, it doesn't move further - the reverse gear pops in. I ***ume that the remote control cable simply can't make that last push to make the gear pop in.
What confuses me that when I push the gear shift handle (shown in the green circle), the reverse gear pops in without any problem and you see that the linkage between the gear shift handle and the remote control arm works fine since they both move when you push one of them.
So, my question is: Anyone with suggestions on how to make the reverse gear work with remote control cables connected? I do not think that there's something wrong with the cables since they are brand new, and I guess that you normally wouldn't need to push extra hard on the gear shift arm to make the reverse gear pop in. Could something have happened when I changed the waterpump (and disconnected the shift rod connector)?

To illustrate further, here's a video:
http://www.e.kth.se/~e98_ama/bilder/evinrude/100_0768_mpeg2video.mpg
There's a lot of engine noise, but if you listen carefully when I push the remote control arm you can hear the ticking before the reverse gear pops in (at ~9 seconds and ~20 seconds). When I use the remote control cable, the gear never pops in you just hear the ticking.
Thanks for your help!

Back