Logo

Detailed Quadrajet to Edelbrock Carb Parts List

themons

The conversion was not as easy as I originally believed. The following items will assist those who follow with some explicit details.
The old rigid fuel line must be removed from the Quadrajet and the Carter fuel pump as it is now too short. This fuel line uses 5/8 inch x 20 compression fittings. The sight tube will also have to be removed and replaced with a longer section of hose. This is because both the fuel inlet and the sight gage inlet port are in different positions between the Quadrajet and the Edelbrock.

The Edelbrock 1409 fuel inlet also uses a 5/8 x 20 thread. If you are going to replace the rigid fuel line with A1 hose, you will need to obtain new fittings. These are not available at most boating or hardware stores. They are available from Autozone and the like. For the fuel pump, you can use their 5/8 by 20 brass fitting with a bulb on the end. However, for the Edelbrock fitting, you will need to use their four inch 5/8 x 20 flared fitting. This is the assembly that has the 5/8 x 20 fitting around the pipe. It is necessary to use this type of assembly because of the depth of the inlet port.

The Edlebrock also does not have a small internal filter like the Quadrajet. This means that you will need to fit a 3/8 inch in line filter between the Edelbrock and the fuel pump. I positioned mine near the carb so that it was easier to get to. I also obtained this from Autozone.

In order to fit the Edelbrock to the engine, you must use the adapter plate. In addition, there should already be fitted a "wedge" that changes the fore aft angle of the carb. The extra thickness of the wedge prevents the bolts supplied with the adapter plate from reaching the threads on the engine. These four screws are different than normal screws in that their heads are of a smaller than normal diameter. In order to mount the adapter plate to the engine, you will need to purchase 2 one inch long allen head socket bolts that are 5/16 inch coarse thread for the front two mounting holes and 2 one and a half inch long allen head socket bolts also of 5/16 inch coarse thread for the two aft most mounting holes.

In addition, you will also need to drill a 5/16 inch hole in the throttle cable mount as you will no longer be using the original studs, but the new studs on the Edelbrock to fix the carb to the adapter plate. I drilled the new hole on the inboard side of the mount so that the angle of the throttle cable was as straight as possible.

Luckily, I did not have to grind out the inside diameter of the spark arrestor to fit on the new carb. I had been led to believe this by many others who may not have been as fortunate.

In summary, in order to do this installation, you will need.

1 each 1409 Edelbrock carb, Summit Racing
1 each adapter plate, Summit Racing
5 feet of A1 3/8 inch fuel hose
5 feet of 1/4 inch braided vinyl hose
1 each 5/8 x 20 threaded 3/8 inch barbed or bulbed brass fitting, Autozone
1 each 5/8 x 20 threaded 3/8 inch flanged fitting, Autozone
2 each 5/16 coarse thread 1 inch long allen head socket bolts
2 each 5/16 coarse thread 1.5 inch long allen head socket bolts
1 each 3/8 inch barbed in line fuel filter, Autozone
At least 4 hose clamps
Teflon tape or the like.

.."The Edelbrock also does not have a small internal filter like the Quadrajet. This means that you will need to fit a 3/8 inch in line filter between the Edelbrock and the fuel pump. "

Good! You need a decent fuel filter before the carb in any case.

Jeff

PS: The flame arrestor that fits the old Carter AFBs has to be enlarged for an Edelbrock. Your old Q-Jet setup is obviously different.

Nice writeup!

Those fittings on the original metal line are termed "inverted flare" fittings which aremn't the same beasts as compression fittings.

The Edlebrock also does not have a small internal filter like the Quadrajet. This means that you will need to fit a 3/8 inch in line filter between the Edelbrock and the fuel pump. I positioned mine near the carb so that it was easier to get to.

My parts manual calls for a wire screen at the fuel inlet seats, at the top of each bowl. Certainly not as easy as the quad/jets, but there should be 2 screens total inside your 1409!

themons,
A thousand thank you's for this writeup! By the time I get my kids to bed, load up the truck with tools, I get down to the boat at 9:00pm (after nearby hardware stores and auto parts stores are closed). All the info is useful, nothing so much as the extra long allen head screws. A few notes to add. Remember to bring a vice grip to remove the old carb studs. I had channel locks and they would not come out. Luckily I happened to bring the vice grips. If you have the aftermarket rubber fuel hose with the flare fittings on each end from Seirra(sold on this website) you can cut that hose(almost scary how easy with one of those razorblade, pliers type cutters). The 3 inch filter gives you just enough room to attach to the back of the Edelbrock carb. It makes for a nice installation. With "Themons" writeup the installation is a snap. Done in about an hour and it only took that long because I put off cutting the fuel line until after I had a beer. Once you make that cut your passed the point of no return. I was also afraid there may be some sort of copper mesh that I may not be able to cut through therby causing a leak that I could not repair that night.

just another thought here from my experience this spring. i have an 85 silverton with 270's. changed over from q jets to 1409's. initially when i installed the 1409's i had a terrible problem with them flooding. as it turned out and i can't imagine what they were thinking, but the tilt back angle on my engines was too much for the 1409's even with the stock 8 degree wedge. i went with a second wedge totaling 16 degrees and they work fantastic.

Bringing this post back from the dead...I have read this over and over and I still cant sort out the part that adapts the inverted flare fitting on the carb to a barbed fitting to be used with A1 fuel line. Sorry for the necro-thread but I need help!

I still cant sort out the part that adapts the inverted flare fitting on the carb to a barbed fitting to be used with A1 fuel line.

Ayuh,..... A few inches of the steel fuel line,.....

Ayuh,..... A few inches of the steel fuel line,.....

Beautiful Chamount Bay...I'm just down the road from you on oneida lake.

Seems rather obvious now. The acceptable method is a cut piece of steel line with the 3/8" A1 slipped over it and double clamped?

I also can't seem to locate a 5/8 - 20 by 3/8 barbed fitting at any autoparts store...

Seems rather obvious now. The acceptable method is a cut piece of steel line with the 3/8" A1 slipped over it and double clamped?
Fuel line slipped over steel tubing without a "bulb" or "barb" at the end, will not meet USCG requirements.

Unless you are somehow able to roll a bulb into the end of the tubing, I would not suggest doing this.
It would need to be similar to this:

I also can't seem to locate a 5/8 - 20 by 3/8 barbed fitting at any autoparts store...

5/8" machine threads are either 11 or 18 threads per inch.
Are you wanting to connect a 3/8" fuel line (via a barbed fitting) to a Q-jet fuel inlet?

https://quadrajetparts.com/barbed-nipple-p-722.html

Q2242-w600.png

Last edited:
I’m going off the parts list up top. What size is the standard inverted flare fitting on these carbs? Is it 5/8 -20?

I suppose it depends on application. This is for a 455 mode 350. I’m reading 5/8 inverted flare and 3/8 inverted flare. If anyone knows, I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

see post #12 again.

i'm going off the original post. clearly the 5/8 20 isnt right...got it. 5/8 18 then...

What size is the inverted flare fitting? You don't say what size it is.

The Holley part you show is a 5/16 tube with a 1/2" 20...that doesnt seem right to me. If thats the correct size, then that might work.

I'm not trying to be an arse...just looking for help.

typically the BBCs have 3/8" steel tube feeding the carbs.

the Style of the fittings used for the steel fuel lines is "inverted flare"

So the thread size on the fitting is somewhat redundant.

Though I'm not a huge fan of Sierra, they have a line for this purpose - look up 18-8114 or 18-8115 - same details, just difference in length...

typically the BBCs have 3/8" steel tube feeding the carbs.

the Style of the fittings used for the steel fuel lines is "inverted flare"

So the thread size on the fitting is somewhat redundant.

Though I'm not a huge fan of Sierra, they have a line for this purpose - look up 18-8114 or 18-8115 - same details, just difference in length...

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful. The only issue there would be installing an in-line filter. It would need to be inverted flare as well. These Edelbrocks dont have the filter in them...

Most of us just use a high quality spin on filter between the pump and the tank.....and skip the inline filters...

if you are talking about the canister filter, back by the starter, yes....junk it - they are notorious for rusting out...

a 10 micron RACOR before the fuel pump should be more than adequate....

if you are talking about the canister filter, back by the starter, yes....junk it - they are notorious for rusting out...

a 10 micron RACOR before the fuel pump should be more than adequate....

Ok thank you. I did replacer both canisters when I rebuilt a couple years ago. I'll look into the racors.

Back