Logo

Ignition Timing

RobinT

Hy guys, newbie on here, great forum. Quicky question, I've got a Volvo Penta 225d which is raw water cooled. The raw water pump is mounted on the front of the crankshaft. How do I turn the engine over to check static ignition timing?

Thanks

Robin

Unless you are firing this engine up for the first time, or with a new distributor, you really don't want to concern yourself much with static timing. Theoretically.... Static advance is BASE advance!

What you actually want, is to set/check Dynamic timing!
More importantly, to see what the advance is doing at your Full IN RPM...... aka TA or TAT.
(see your OEM specs for this)

If you want static only, your choice is to mark your balancer, turn the engine over in the standard direction...., stop the crank at the degree desired...., then with ignition ON, rotate the distributor in a CCW direction until you get a spark.
This is close ONLY, and should not be intended to operate on.

Unless I'm not understanding what you are attempting to do, Dynamic spark timing is what you want to be doing.
Ignition Spark lead on a Marine engine is much more critical than automotive.
TA (total advance) being even more critical!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
If you want static only, your choice is to mark your balancer, turn the engine over in the standard direction...., stop the crank at the degree desired...., then with ignition ON, rotate the distributor in a CCW direction until you get a spark.

Many thanks for the reply, but the qestion is how do I turn the engine over? There is nothing to get a socket or spanner on

Many thanks for the reply, but the qestion is how do I turn the engine over? There is nothing to get a socket or spanner on
With the crankshaft pump installed, that is correct!

What's the goal?
New distributor???
Re-installing a distributor????
Why not fire the engine and use your timing light?

Whenever a distributor is pulled, the engine should already be sitting at TDC # 1 C/S.

You could use the water pump/alternator belt and see if you can rotate it.
Otherwise, bump the starter motor!

Remeber that TDC comes up twice for one camshaft cycle!

Back