Logo

need help on lower unit 1987 70 hp

hey guys i have a 1987 mercury 70 hp 3 cylinder motor. I am trying to remove the lower unit and on the manual it says once i take off the three nuts the lower unit should slide down. My problem is that the lower unit is not coming off, it moves about a half inch but seems like it is stuck on something, any suggestions? also when i took out the vent and the fill plugs, alot of water and no lube came out of it. any help would be very appreciated

Re: need help on lower unit

Did you remove the trim tab (unpainted anode) from the top through the hole in the mid section at the rear and the other nut or bolt that is inside that cavity once the trim tab is removed from the underside.

Thank you for replying. Yes I took that one off and the two on the sides am i missing one? I figured I wasn't since the gearcase came down an inch. I already disconnected the shift shaft from up top too

Is this a Small Three cylinder 70 or big 70. If it's big bore motor than there are 4 bolts and 1 nut if small then there are 3 nuts and a bolt unless someone did not put it back in the last time. When you say you disconnected the upper shift shaft you have me confused. you do not have to disconnent anything up above.

Dave

I'm guessing its the small cuz I already took off three nuts, the two on the side and the one under the tab, what bolt am I missing if I am? The shift shaft, I just disconnected it from up top just in case that was what was holding it from coming down, but it still only seperates about an inch. Once again I appreciate the help

ok so i think i figured it out. i think my driveshaft is what is holding my gearcase from falling. is the driveshaft supposed to just fall out with the gearcase? how is the driveshaft holding on up top? is my driveshaft maybe seized together with whatever its connected to? i already have everything off and the gearcase seperated an inch, it is noticeable that whatever is holding it is in the center of the gearcase so thats why i assume that is my problem. any suggestions?

Might be it. Try wedging the thing off with wooden wedges.

Jeff

PS: I've seen a bunch of rusty drive shaft splines lately.

Back