Logo

changing engines with a 270 pent outdrive

keithmckinley

Has anyone replaced their volvo engine (mine is an aq-130c) with another make engine and mated it to the 270 outdrive without some kind of crazy expensive custom adapter flange?

Keith

This topic comes every year for discussion several times and the short answer is no. Your cheapest bet is either to replace your current engine with an AQ131 or 151, and the only major component you will have to change is the exhaust pipe. Other than that, you may want to get a complete used V6 AQ package (AQ175 or AQ205) which would include transom shield (same bolt pattern as yours if a 275 or 280 drive), drive and engine with bellhousing (flywheel cover).

Has anyone replaced their volvo engine (mine is an aq-130c) with another make engine and mated it to the 270 outdrive without some kind of crazy expensive custom adapter flange?
Keith
Keith, it can be done.... been there/done that more than once.
However, it does/will require some knowledge of which components work with what!

There is no need to design/build "some kind of crazy expensive custom adapter flange"!
The Borg Warner/Volvo Penta Primary Drive adapter that takes the Volvo Penta transom shield to Borg Warner.

Borg Warner allows for just about any engine that has a popularity in the marine world, to be used!
The Flywheel Cover now becomes a XYZ engine Borg Warner Flywheel Cover...... similar to what you'd find in a "In Board" scenario!
Borg Warner is Borg Warner all day long!
The out drive connects exactly the same..... it won't know the difference, unless you tell it!

The issue now becomes "exhaust" and front engine mounts!

To take your single exhaust relief transom shield to a V-8, the AQ 200 3" exhaust Y pipe must be used. They can be found!

If an In-Line engine is to be used, it must have Stb side exhaust.... in which case your exhaust "down tube" can be used!

And another important question: was this hull ever available with the proposed engine and related weight?

Here is a B/W PDS adapter shown in this image:
ACF17D7.gif

Here is a SBF V-8 B/W flywheel cover to show you the B/W bolt pattern:
Like said, a B/W F/C should be available for any engine that was popular for use in I/B's at one time or another.

FMWVDC70A.JPG

Your Drive Coupler will also be Borg Warner.... so finding one of these will be easy:
images

So you can see that there are some hurddles to jump when doing this!
Doable???? Yes.... but how badly do you want to do this?

Last edited:
Good catch!

That AQ series V-8/V-6 flywheel cover is worth the BIN of $250 all day long/all week long!
Be sure to install new bearings/seals if you do this! $45 tops!

I think you can find a drive coupler for less.

Back