Logo

Shift interrupter (shift cut out switch) question?

yannicksjh

Following a few suggestion about my electrical problem in my other post i was recommneded to look at the shift interupter switch for "sticking". Not really knowing what it was i looked into it today and found it no problem. This might sound like a stupid question but with the engine OFF, i put the shifter in gear (forward) and it didn't close that switch. Is it supposed to? Did the same thing in REVERSE and again didn't close it. I'm assuming when you put it in gear its suppose to slide down the rod it sits on and close whether putting it in forward or reverse? Since people were telling me that if its stuck closed the engine will NOT start because it thinks its in gear.
I can push it up or down by hand no problem. When putting it into gear it is suppose to push it closed? If so di i just re adjust it?
thanks

The interupter works ONLY COMING OUT OF GEAR.does not work on land ONLY in the water with a load on the propeller.If it works on land, the lower shift cable is bad or there is corrosion with the shift rod.

Oh OK, so i have it all wrong then. The boat is in the water but i just didn't have it running. No wonder i didn't see it do anything (close the switch). thanks

There is a neutral safty switch in your throttle, make sure your in neutral, wiggle the handle back and forth, thats why maybe it won't start.

Back