Logo

AQ131A Cooling System question...

maine1963

OK, got the timing belt replaced, electronic ignition installed, flame thrower coil installed and much more... Thanks to all for helping me on this board!

My question today is in regards to the cooling pipe (PC 12) http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...,1919,1934,1935,1920,1936,1921,1937,1938,1940

to the rear of the engine this copper pipe and sealing ring has a flange that keeps it seated, but where it connects to the lower end of the expansion tank - it appears to be just a pressure fit with the sealing ring and copper pipe...

Any tricks to keeping this seated properly without leaks?

Thanks Greg
Maine

I am far from an expert on this, but did just complete the same kind of work that you have on my AQ131A.

I wondered the same thing, but have come to realize that it is just a pressure fit. I've been running my engine just this way and no leaks.

Greg, if you experience leaks where the copper pipe enters the expansion tank, just remove the pipe and bend its right side about 1" further towards the tank, then reinstall it again. It may take a bit of extra effort to re-instal the pipe, but that should solve the problem.

Greg, if you experience leaks where the copper pipe enters the expansion tank, just remove the pipe and bend its right side about 1" further towards the tank, then reinstall it again. It may take a bit of extra effort to re-instal the pipe, but that should solve the problem.

That did the trick, thanks~! You are an incredibly helpful person, thanks again!

You are welcome. Now here comes the second part. Make sure the exhaust manifold is not corroded or internally choked with mud. Two areas of concern are where the copper pipe is attached to the exhaust manifold, and the riser area. You can slide the rubber hose connecting the manifold towards the exhaust pipe, then check the riser side. If choked/rusted-up, it may be time to replace the manifold. Regarding the area where the copper pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold, you can remove the copper pipe and examine it or stick a screwdriver into the manifold and look for mud or scale. Sometimes if there is mud either flushing it with a garden hose or with water and some compressed air will do the trick.

Back