Logo

80 MC 351, don't ask me why...

80stars

Don't ask me why I decided to change out the cap, rotor, condenser and points at my spring unveiling (everything was running fine). I was impressed how well the engine ran in the driveway hooked up to the garden hose after my work. Started nice, idled great and transitioned well. Well I got the chance to put the boat in the lake day before yesterday and was looking forward to a week of skiing but...

I could tell right away it was missing somewhere, it smelled, it shook and didn't have any power. I thought maybe I got the fireing order off, so at the dock I checked it over and all appeared good. I ran it again with the same crappy results. Then I pulled the cap off and looked inside, all looked ok, wires good, rotor good :confused::confused: I then tried to start the engine again, NO GO :mad::mad: , just cranks with a few pops with 1/2 to full throttle applied until the battery dies.

I have since replace all plugs (checked gap on Autolite #24s) all new wires, new points, condenser, rotor, and cap (again) with the same no start result. Gas, spark and air and it should run. I am getting fuel (fresh full tank), I have spark from all cylinders (seems weak to me) and carb is functioning normally. I am suspect of the coil, but I don't know jack about trubble shooting what I have. This thing ran to the dock, why all of a sudden won't it run now? All I touched was the cap and plug wires. I checked the neutral switch was working fine, is there somthing that could all of a sudden be stealing my ignition voltage???? Thinking back, I did play behind the dash with the H2O guage to try and get the back light to work. Is it possible somthing back there is reducing my voltage and therefore keeping me from getting an engine run????

Is the fuel valve open at the tank? I must admit I spent a whole weekend in a similar pickle trying everything I could until I found that I was pulling from the empty tank on the port side.

Back