Logo

Honda 225 Lower Unit Problem

ChuxCaliber

Honda 225A, XCA, BAHJ1000011, BAGJ 1000145

Last turn into ramp and the starboard motor started whining like a stuck pig. I pulled it out of gear and finished the trip on one motor. Upon arriving home we checked the lower unit of the whiny motor to the other motor and found a noticable rattle and play in the prop shaft. When flushing (I still use the old method) the whiny motor it had a definite clanking going on down there. I drained the oil this morning and found about two tablespoons of water in the oil, no metal that I could tell.
I know I'm in for a rebuild to some degree. I am asking if a normal person could accomplish this at home, under an oak tree, with a case or two of his favorite brew on hand, and a buddy that has an unlimited supply of high quality tools with much mechanical experience in other types of engines.
Thanks for the reply in advance, Chuck

The first thing you need is a Honda Repair Manual . You can order one from helminc.com.

Do not bother with any aftermarket books if you are going to work on the lower unit.

To completely rebuild and shim the entire gearcase you will need many special tools, which are listed in the Service Manual.

It is not something that you can just throw together.

You may also want to hold off on the brew until you are finished...for celebrating.

It also appears that you are going to work on a counter rotational. That requires a little different approach on some things than a standard rotation.

Check out the manual, then make your decision.

Mike

OK guys need some input .
My Honda saga/battle continues standard rotation gearcase quit working yesterday smelly rubber and heard clanking sounds. Well checked prop first , then pulled boat to Honda mechanic he checkedcw in gear said duffently got a gearcase issue... ouch !!!!

OK what level of ability does it take to rebuild this case ?
Does it take tremendous amount of expensive tools ?
I have manual just not w me as this moment, right now I ordered rebuild one for price tag of 1850$ exact case was rebuild on 03/10/11 go 900 hrs on this case. The other counter rotation gearcase other motor original has 2300 hrs on it.. was told extra $250 because hard to get parts for 2002 now rebuild my gearcase w 2006 parts different shift rod...

Any one have input on this ?
I wondering if this gearcase is something I could rebuild myself if happens again and if would be cheaper ?

A couple of years ago I read the whole section on the lower unit and rebuilding the gear case. When it got into he parts about precision measurement of play and shims I thought to myself that it was not a job I was competent doing. I think you need to study the manual and make a hard nose assessment.

To put a dollar value on it. I just did a quick build of parts only, all gears, bearing, seals, and water pump total to $1333 retail. That assumes that the prop shaft, vertical shaft and housing are ok.

Then you need the proper tools to remove and press in the bearings and seals....

Then you have to learn how to properly shim the assemblies....

Once you get it together....the warranty is on you.

$1850 seems like a "deal" to me!

Mike

Thanks for input, my rebuild case ordered sent tonight hopefully be here Tues this is morning was waiting for new shift rod. ..will update all on service they deliver so far Scott at alantic gearcase been great , when I called back to check on progress they remembered me

I assume you are required to ship back the defective unit. If so, see if you can talk Atlantic Gearcase into letting you know what failed. I think it would be educational to all of us to know.

I assume you are required to ship back the defective unit. If so, see if you can talk Atlantic Gearcase into letting you know what failed. I think it would be educational to all of us to know.

Lol already asked them just that yesterday..That was main reason I called them yesterday..

Note to self besure to order right length gearcase size :( waited 5 days finally arrived and I ordered a 20inch and needed a 25 inch major mistake now having to wait for another to be build and shiped .. looks like my free shipping is NoT free second tine around :( ..hope this keeps others from making sane mistake its was a rookie mistake for sure

New gearcase came in 2006 gearcase w new shift rod all rebuilt bolted on pretty smooth now water test and this saga is over . :)

Called them a week or so said it was pinion gear missing a tooth . Said not sure what could be unless I hit something who h I was not aware I hit anything.. new rebuilt one is working smooth now

hello, does anybody know where i can find or buy a fixing tool? not sure what the correct name is , if u go in the manual it is on page 355/56. i believe when you are putting back in the prop shaft and gears you need this tool to realign , not sure really. but it does not list the part number or anything

also do you guys know where i can buy a complete refurbished lower unit? i have a 2005 honda bf200 single motor on my boat

thinking if to buy a rebuilt one or get a mechanic to fix my own, as water got in the lower unit so yeah mest up everything inside i would assume as the prop would not move and not go in gear

Back