Logo

1979 aq145 help!!!!

doctnj

Ok, so many mechanics, so many opinions!
Here is what happened. I have a 79 145a in my houseboat. I was almost back to the dock when I looked down and saw that my temp guage was pegged. As soon as I pulled in I cut the engine. It had ruptured a coolant hose and lost all the fluid. More than likely ran about 7 min pegged out at the most. After everything cooled down I found the rupture and fixed the leak. Refilled with coolant. Ran the engine. Kept trying to die below 800 rpm but sounded very smooth. The plastic decal on the side of the heat exchanger melted some what. I checked the oil and there was water in the oil. There was about a quart increase in volume on the stick. I have had a "trusted" mechanic look at the motor. He looked at the dipstick and performed a compression check and said the fourth cyl. was 'sucking air'. He said definately a cracked head and that the motor would have to be pulled and more than likely rebuilt.

Now the issue is that I have had several other mechanics tell me it could be as simple as just a blown head gasket and that the head needed to be tested to make a diagnosis of a cracked head and that based on that I should not trust mechanic "a". Mechanic "a" is quoting me 7k to put in a re-manufactured 6 cyl mercruser longblock in the winter months 2500 if it is just a head and 5k to do the head during the summer. Now the problem is that I cant have these other mechanics do the work as my dock owner will not let any mechanic work on a boat on our dock without a million dollar liability policy so I may have to try to do it myself.

Any input would be helpful.

thanks

Re: aq145 help!!!!

I would take a gamble. A new head gasket (automotive is fine) should cost you between $25 ande $50 and two batches of oil around $20. I would change the head gasket onboard and while the head is out examine it for obvious damage and also check it with a straightedge for warping. After installing the head, change the oil, then run the engine for say 30 minutes and look for bubbles in the expansion tank. If no bubbles and the engine seems to run fine, change the oil again and see what happens.

ok a couple more questions. Can i pull the head with out removing the exhaust and intake manifolds. My initial thought was to pull the manifolds then the head bring it into town and have it tested and oder an entire head gasket kit and re-install everything. But I like the simple! Could there be bubbles in the expansion tank with just a blown gasket?
I'm really bummed because my daughter is here for summer visit and the boat was supposed to BE our summer. p.s I have the shop manual on order so some of these questions may seem simple.

1) No, you have to remove both manifolds. But removing the manifolds is a very easy task.
2) Yes, you will likely see bubbles in the expansion tank if the head gasket is blown.

I agree, get the head checked out. My guess it is a head gasket. You can also do a leak down test and you should see bubbles in the expansion tank.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Last edited:
Back