Logo

1980 50hp mercury long shaft to short shaft

mike3079

Does anyone know what years and hp rating my powerhead will fit a short shaft mid section and what's the average price that i should give for one

A wide range of jet prop power heads model years can be interchanged, but short shaft towers and LUs are not as common. (Meaning $$$$)

Jeff

A 45 or 50 horse unit from late 70's until 1985 should work.

But like Jeff notes, it could be very difficult to find.

In "general" a sound lower unit of that vintage will normally sell in the 500 dollar range. Not enough exhaust housings hit the market for there to be an "average" price, but another couple hundred wouldn't sound unreasonable.

Of course, you could find something on Ebay for a couple hundred complete...

Meant to add. If you have a decent "long shaft" lower unit you could always just replace the driveshaft - it's still available at a touch over 400 bucks - may be cheaper than a lower unit...

I planned on using the lower and changing out the drive shaft and water tube and etc. i just have to find the mid section that will work. I've found a early 70 year model but nothing in the late 70's they just wanted a hundred dollars for the complete motor.

Mike,

I will get back with you on Monday, sorry just been real busy and have not had time to get into the storage bin to find what you need. I want to make sure I have a real good short driveshaft for you. Mids are no problems I have quite a few.

Dave

Here's the deal: About mid-70s Merc went to what I call a "universal driveshaft housing". You can spot these things by the 1/2 inch thick adapter piece that goes just under the power head. Remove this piece, and twins, fours--even triples--will bolt right up to the housing. These power heads also use the same LUs.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

PS: Twins and fours have the same bolt pattern after the mid to late 60s.

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping to get the motor done so i can run it before fall and by spring i'll have a jet lower ready to bolt on if everything runs good. I also have to strength my jon and add floatation pods on it.

I actually found a donor motor for $125 and it has a good powerhead except for the wiring . I've already rewired two mercurys from the late 70's because of bad wires. Now i just have to find a tiller handle for the motor not much luck yet tho.

Back