Logo

Unexplained engine shutdown

Jan Bogart

I have an old 44 trawler with twin Ford-Lehmans - lots of unknown hours on both. During delivery - the starboard unit shutdown with heavy loud banging noise. Motor shutdown as I throttled down. There were no alarms, no low oil pressure indicators, no overheat issures. The motor will turn with a wrench on the crankshaft but will not turn over using the starter. I have been told by local diesel mechanics that it is very possible that the "Pressureplate?" located in the motor-transmission interface may have broken down and simply jammed the engine.

Never heard of this before - Anyone out there with experience with this type of problem?

Appreciate the help

Jan Bogart

You can call American standard diesel and talk to Brian about the possible pressure plate failure. I have heard of this happening before. When I helped the mechanic rebuild my engine and transmission we found a few of the springs broken on the pressure plate. They can break and fall down and jam between your fly wheel in the at the back of engine. I am not sure of the likelyhood of it turning at all if that were the case.

Not unknown for the centre of the plate to break up, undo shaft/gearbox coupling, push rearwards, to give clearance for the gearbox to be removed, you will then be able to see the plate, or the centre may come away with the gearbox.

Back