Logo

EFI flooding problem

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
I have Crusader 8.2 MPI engines. I am having what appears to be a flooding issue with port engine. When I try to start the engine it seems to get flooded, if I bump the throttle up the engine will start and then I see a fuel sheen from the exhaust. What would cause a fuel injected engine to flood

check the engine temp sensor? wiring to it? hook up a scan tool and see what it indicates.

Many ecu's will use a 'default' value for a sensor if it detects a fault with that sensor. You can disconnect it though it may activate the audio warning system. Swapping sensors is another option but you wind up doubling the work as opposed to just swapping it.

IAT and MAP sensors will screw up the fuel delivery on the older models (no ECT). The TPS also shows a malfunctioning symptom of "exhaust odor" . The first two are easy to swap between engines. The TPS take a little more effort but isn't 'hard to do'.

I had the same issue, it turned out to be a leaking riser gasket, I had a little water in the 3 and 5 cylinders . I had to give it a little gas to get it to fire up and then a min. or two to clear out the water (ran ruff for a few mins.) and I had a gas sheen on the water. I thought it was flooded but found out it`s not. I`m not saying that happing to you but it sounds just like mine, and it was water that did it.

Back