Logo

1980.5 80hp mecury outboard shift rod

shipfloats

Hello,

I had my outboard to the mechanic to fix the issue of moisture getting into the lower unit, which worked, but when I initally tested the motor the gears are backwards....forward is reverse, reverse is forward...neutral works well. I called the mechanic and right now they are really busy and I need the boat this weekend....I have done a lot of work on my other mercury 65hp, but that lower unit would never give this problem....I am told that this unit can be reversed for running a reverse prop.

Basically I am asking how do I fix the issue so forward is actually forward. how do I manually set the gearcase before reinstalling the shift rod and lower unit.

thanks so much !!

The shift cam is in assbackwards. Seeing that's the first thing that goes in when a lower unit is assembled, EVERYTHING has to come out to flip it over! (Don't ask!)

Note: Looking down on the LU from above, the shifter moves COUNTER clockwise to go from F to N to R.

Jeff

thanks for the reply,

so I simply remove the lower unit, flip the cam and re install...my 65hp needed to be in forward to help the installation....do I have to prep this lower unit anyway...does it have to be in a specific gear ?

thanks again

You misunderstood me: The entire LU has to come all apart to get to the shift cam and flip it over. Check FIRST to see if it's necessary (as I explained above).

Jeff

I understand, sounds like I'll be taking it back to the mechanic that set it up incorrectly...wanted to do it myself, but time isn't on my side right now.

thanks again !!

Back