Logo

454 350 wont run.

mike993

Hi guy's i had my chris craft out the other day and my starboard 454 350 started running rough and droping rpm's and then just quit.......I changed all fuel filters and that did nothing it tries to start but just will not stay running. When i checked the sediment filter after it was almost empty? I checked the anti syphon valve and it seems to be working, i tried to run it from the sediment filter from a fresh gas can still no help? I then checked spark and it seems weak not sure fuel or fire or both ran great before this??????? I AM LOST!!!!!!!Please help you guys are the best THANKS.

More information is needed like type of ignition points or electronic last time you did a tune up. The more information the better

Ok i will try that. I am not familiar with points. What would the cost be to switch to electronic ignition and do away with the points?

I'd make sure you have fuel in the carb (& adequate fuel pressure) before tearing up the ignition system.

I have fuel at the carb even if i pour some fuel in it still very rough and shuts down even with carb cleaner i cannot keep it running.

Then find a dwell meter and check those points. Get it running well before converting ignition. How much to swap $100 and up depending upon which type and who installs it

Carb cleaner (if it's gumout) doesn't help an engine run; about 4 seconds of squirt in a healthy engine will stall it.

Petronix makes a conversion kit for points that works well. You'll need a 12 volt coil with it to get rid of the ballast resistor (another trouble making component) at the same time. About $180 total. Not hard to do.

Jeff

From what I am reading, IF you make a switch to the electronic ignition BEFORE YOU SOLVE this issue, you will likely compound the problem making it even more difficult to get it right. Better to fix the current situation and then make your switch as if you mess up, at least you know it was THAT which you just worked on. additionally, you will be more proficient in the ignition and that may come in REAL handy some day

Good advise. CLean up the points with some fine sandpaper, wash that grit away with lacquer thinner, then set the points at about 0.020 inch gap (cam on the high side). See if you have a nice BLUE spark that will jump at least a half inch. If so, fire her up; if not, change the condensor and--if still no luck--the coil.

Jeff

And while the points are out, remove the breaker plate and make sure the advance mechanism is functioning. Clean and lube it, as required.

A common problem with point type ignitions is rust which accumulates on the distributor cam during the winter....when the engine is started in the spring, this rust wears the rubbing block on the points and causes them to get out of adjustment and eventually fail to open at all...very easy to check

Ok i set the points and changed the plugs and it runs but still very rough. Should i REPLACE the points, condenser and coil now???

P.S. Thanks for all the reply's VERY HELPFUL.

MIKE

Okay. NOW that it's running, I'd strongly suggest replacing the points with a Petronix electronic package. Buy their points eliminator kit AND their coil at the same time and you'll be in great shape. Go to Jegs or Summit Racing on-line, look at the packages Petronix offers for your engine, and select the one you like best.

Jeff

PS: You might also have to put new plugs in, and maybe new wires as well.

Check the distributor cap and rotor. make sure they are both clean and dry. moisture inside the distributor cap can redirect the spark energy in a heartbeat.

Dwell angle for a V-8 is nominally 30 degrees, the crusader spec is 28-31 degrees.

Will it work, yes, but can't say for how long.

Ok tonight i replaced the points, condenser, coil and plug wires and it purs like a kitten.....Now next week i am going to switch both engines to electronic is there anything i should know before i do? They are both running perfect right now. Thanks guy's.

Mike

Good for you! Just do one at a time, so you don't get discouraged. And buy the complete setup from ONE manufacturer--coil, electronic module, etc.--so you won't have any mix and match problems.

Jeff

Back