Logo

1990,454's-unleaded gas?

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
The vessel I'm looking at has twin 1990 454's. The owners manual says to use leaded gas between 87 and 93 octane. I thought all marine fuel was unleaded. What's the story? :confused:
Nightstalker

Can you find a date printed anywhere? MAybe the guy didn't have an owners manual and found one for an older engine.

You are probably right. The vessel's owner's manaual (1990 Luhr's) just says that the vessel is equipped with gas engines (not specifically Crusader) that use leaded gas. The Crusader owner's manual has 120182 stamped on the bottom of the back cover, so it may be a manual for a 1982 Crusader.
Thanks
Nightstalker

THere hasn't been leaded gas sold in this country for decades! And good riddens. It messed up spark plugs.

Jeff

When I bought my boat the previous owner told me to add a lead substitue to my unleaded fuel and I have been doing it for the last 4 years I buy a bottle at Pep Boys that will treat 160 gallons of fuel it costs about $16.00 I would love not to use but since the engine hasn't been built since 1964 and even if it was rebuilt once my guess would be the valves would appreciate the leaded gas. The engine is a BB Chevy 409 Crusader built. You can add lead to your fuel.

My experience is that heads with non-hardened seats on the exhaust valve will have recession and then burning issues around the 200 hour mark with un-leaded gas (marine use). This was a big issue with my Chrysler 440, but I have not seen it with the '76 BBC I've got now. I've got about 900 hours on 4 heads now and still OK with no additive unleaded gas.

I'm going to burn the unleaded. I talked to a couple of guys today at my marina with big blocks (1989 and 1991) that use the unleaded with no ill effects.
Thanks,
Nightstalker

THere hasn't been leaded gas sold in this country for decades! And good riddens. It messed up spark plugs.

Jeff

Not quite, you can still buy 100 low lead gasoline, although it is avaiation gas and you will pay for it dearly if used to run a boat (and a plane ain't cheap either).

The induction hardened exhaust seats tolerate the unleaded fuel just fine, until its time for a top end job. If the heads are rebuildable, have 4 stellite inserts installed before the valve job and it will last the rest of your time with it.

Is there a way to tell if the valves are hardened without taking the heads off? If I can get away from the lead substitute I would love to.

GM started going to induction hardening the exhaust valve seats in 71 (as early as I can find it referenced) and was complete, across all product lines, by 75. Haven't checked but I'm sure Ford and Chrysler would have been doing it at the same time. Jeff said 74 so label it as "after the famous oil embargo".

If you still have the original 64 vintage and they haven't been reconditioned, I know what your winter plans should entail. The induction hardening is the 'cheap' method though it requires a large capital outlay (why most machine shops don't do it). Sometimes you get lucky and it last thru the first reconditioning. Expecting any of the remaining iron to be as tough as when it left the factory after that is foolish.

1974....Isn't that when gasoline skyrocketed to .54 cents / gallon? I remember paying nearly $10.00 to fill my FJ 40 Land Cruiser...Of course, I was making about $47.00 a week!

My employment at that time was tweaking CB radios. I'd make enough money on a Saturday to buy gas and parts for the mini-bike and the dirt bike for the following week or two. Sure beat collecting the returnable coke bottles! Can't say about the pricing then but know it finally broke $1/gal during the summer of 79 as I was retailing gasoline then and our shop was the first to use four digits on the price sign.

When I was a kid making boat money by cutting lawns, I recall pushing my mower up to the gas pump, removing the cap, and telling the man to "Fill 'er up!" A NICKLE later I was on my way.

Jeff

Jeff, did you know Grandpa Walton ? ( just kidding) Actually, my VW beetle took 9 gallons for $2.00...Hess was about .22 / gal. Then I would have $3.00 for the rest of the week !

Are you kidding? Me and Grandpa Walton used to hang out together!

When looking at how cheap gas was back then, you have to remember that salaries were also low. Making $150 a week was damn good money in the 50s.

Jeff

Back