Logo

Bravo 1 lower bearing carrier extraction

MahtyMaht

I rigged a puller that'll put some real force on the carrier, but I'm worried that the carrier is stuck enough that I'm going to tear chunks out of the carrier's ring - the one in front of the retainer ring nut. I'm heating the torpedo with a radiant heater now, and it's been loaded with PB blaster for three weeks, but I'm wondering if there are other tricks to this.

no

there is no trick

there are some aftermarket special pullers that work awsome but have not seen one in years.

I have used a long 12 inch drill and drilled into the thick bottom and tapped it wit a tap in two places 180 degrees apart and used threaded rod and home made attachments and use it as a puller of sorts........

if it is stuck that bad you need a new one so it will need to be ruined to remove...........

Do some google searches for special proppeller carriers pullers and see what you come up with. Probably costs the same as a new carrier......

GOT that sucker! I do have the manual - got a torch, too, but I was worried about open flame on that paint. Kgohst and Bt Doctor, I thank you for the responses, once again, I've snagged usefull information.

There's a crack in this carrier casting, and there was .030" end play, and radial play on the propshaft. Rolling elements in the tapered roller on the propshaft are a little streaky. In looking for a replacement carrier, everybody points me at a 416something-A, and this one is a 41620-C. I know the Bravo 1 used different ones. I do NOT assume that what was in there was right, so how do I find out? The manual is worthless for that.

This is the wrong place for that info.

THE ONLY PLACE TO GET THE RIGHT INFO IS A MERCURY DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the serial number of the drive and go to a dealer and ask!!!!

No wonder why you are confused.........

DO not let suggestion rule the day.........do it right!!

Looks like a dealer run to me - everywhere I look, 416418-A is what I'm told. What came out of there is 41640 C. I need to know if my carrier's been superceded, or if the wrong one was used or what.

Cruised on down to my local Mercmeister, gave him drive unit serial #OB804538, and he promptly whipped open his parts book to an exploded view that looked suspiciously like the one at the link Bt Doctor gave me - he then said not to worry about the number on the casting, as they often didn't match the parts book. He finally gave me the same part number the now famous Bt Doctor gave me. It's the number I see every where I look it up, I just wanted to be sure it's OK that the number on the casting is different. Maybe the casting number's been superceded by the 41641A8.

Back