Logo

sears 3.5 carburator adjustment

cwadams

:confused:i purchased an old sears outboard i think 3.5 horse. it was running i messed up the carb settings. the motor has 2 red knobs on each side of the air intake. which adjustment is which. i set both at 3/4 open and it will start but not continue to run.. also which way is choke open? flap open or closed?? i am lnot a mechanic but would like this old motor running for my canoe. can any one help. model no 60920 112246B.. thanks for any help or info.

Those don't look like Sears numbers. If you got'em off a metal tag attached at the reed plate, they are engine manufacturer's numbers. Poke around inside the cowl near the motor mounts, and look around the clamps that attach the motor to the transom. There ought to be a 9 digit string with a dash after the first three numbers, then an 8 digit serial number. My 7.5 hp's model number is 217-588751. The 217 means it's a tecumseh engine, Eska leg. You can punch that model number in at searspartsplus.com, and see what parts they have, exploded view, etc. The motor is choked when the shutter is closed.

Back