Logo

possible bad primer soleniod?? 1982 90hp

ggman1023

hi guys i have a 1982 johnson 90 hr motor. it seems like the primer soleniod may be bad. i checked the ohms on the actual soliniod and from what the "seloc book" says is its in the right range. when i took off the discharge fuel lines off it and pushed in the key no gas came out. then when i turned the red nob on the soleniod gas came out. the weird thing is i put it in the water and i had a hard time starting it. and we broke down out on the water. then when i came home i check the primer soleniod and tried starting it again of course with water hooked up to it. it fired right up! so now im completely lost on what it mite be. im not sure if the primer soleniod is good or bad. or if i have another problem... someone please help!!

thanks alot guys!
Gus

Re: possible bad primer soleniod??

Have that red lever where it belongs in the automatic mode..... over top of the solenoid, pointed towards the other end.

With that small hose off of the primer solenoid again and safely pointed away from you and the engine, and the fuel primer bulb pumped up hard, use a small jumper and apply 12 volts directly to the solenoid.

If fuel shoots out, then obviously the solenoid is okay. In which case there must either be a break in the wire from the primer solenoid to the "C" terminal of the ignition switch OR the ignition switch is faulty.

If no fuel shoots out when 12 volts is applied directly to the solenoid, then I would assume the solenoid is faulty.

Back